Scottsdale, Arizona /
Software Engineering – Sensors - Devices /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
You aren’t like everybody else. You aim a little higher. You reach a little further. Your goals in life include more than just landing a great paying job. You do more because it matters. And when it comes to looking for that next opportunity, you want to do work that's rewarding. We're changing the way law enforcement uses technology and are looking for others who share our mission Protect Life. Our mission is making the world a safer place through smart devices and software services.
As a Firmware Engineer, you'll design, build, and implement new features for our Axon platform and ecosystem of products. You'll work closely with the electrical engineering team, manufacturing team and external vendors to define and build platform firmware, and application modules for cameras, TASERs and activation products in the Axon Ecosystem.
Our Scottsdale-based firmware team is made up of a plethora of talent. You'll gain exposure to cross-train in a variety of languages and products. Our team is versatile and determined, no matter the project or activity. Whatever your goals are, you'll have the freedom to work on projects you're passionate about, and the support of people who will challenge you in new ways.
We recognize the hard work and responsibility of all Axon employees, and try to give back by focusing on employee happiness and generous benefits!
- Firmware design and development for our next generation products
- Work with distributed firmware teams and SaaS engineering teams to guide software development
- Collaborate with the hardware team and vendors to optimize power consumption, image & audio quality
- Communicate with quality & validation teams to verify the end-to-end customer experience is exceeding expectations using automated testing and telemetry analysis
- Work with manufacturing engineers to build applications and tests
- BA/BS in Computer Science or BA/BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience in embedded C/C++ with familiarity in Python, Go or Rust.
- Experience in Real Time Operating Systems and Embedded Linux. Some exposure to Video SoCs or bare metal development on microcontrollers such as PSOC4, STM32, LPC15 preferred
- Familiar in the following areas of firmware development: BSP porting, video, audio, power management, peripherals such as UART/I2C/SPI, timers, ADC/DAC, encryption, storage, and wireless communication (WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, Proprietary RF, LTE)
- Understanding of: Kernel and driver development, Android porting, threads, inter-process communications, and profiling
- Strong understanding of computer architecture & peripherals
- Emphasis on self-diagnostic code via robust fault detection, reporting, and recovery
- Documentation of design/interface specifications and architecture
- Responsibility for unit and system testing
- Basic ability to read datasheets, schematics and understand electronic circuitry
- Exposure to Yocto, Buildroot and other embedded distros is a plus
- GPA greater than or equal to 3.0/4.0
- Past internship experience developing embedded applications
Compensation and Benefits
- Medical, Dental, Vision Plans
- Bonus plan, Stock options, 401K
- Supportive parental leave policy
- Discretionary paid-time-off
- Commuter options
- Full pantry
- Opportunities to ride along with real US police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, and get inspired
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.