Sr. Principal Product Manager / Director of Product (AI and Machine Learning)
Seattle, Washington /
Software Engineering – Artificial Intelligence /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
In this exciting role, you’ll own and drive Axon’s AI products and lead our machine learning efforts while working with research scientists & engineers as well as partners from across our organization to set compelling roadmaps and deliver scalable AI-enabled solutions. This will require you and your team to use state-of-the-art ML modeling, data and infrastructure techniques to not only build highly performant AI models but also to help educate internal and external stakeholders on the best ways to leverage the power of AI ethically and responsibly.
The ideal candidate is willing to be fearless and more than willing to take on bold challenges. You thrive in entrepreneurial environments while remaining calm and resourceful in the face of ambiguities and competing priorities. You are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also dive deep in the details and deliver results. You are adept at seeing around corners to anticipate bottlenecks, making well-informed trade offs while balancing business needs versus technical constraints. You are able to influence with your high judgment, negotiation skills and analytical reasoning.
By building great products and accelerating the adoption of our technologies, you'll help protect life in public safety for both officers and the communities they serve around the world.
- Drive the vision, strategy, and execution of Axon AI modeling efforts & product portfolio across multiple business pillars
- Listen to Customers and foster strong connections across AI, Product and Business teams to better align team vision & roadmap with Customer expectations
- Breakdown large, complex projects into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner
- Stay current with Machine Learning science & infrastructure trends to identify critical technology intersections where the time needs to invest
- Conduct periodic product reviews with Axon’s independent AI Ethics Board
- Identify and evaluate strategic external partners for Axon AI to join forces with to deliver on our roadmap
- Clearly communicate vision, plans, and results to partner teams, executives, and other stakeholders
- Provide coaching and guidance to junior staff members, participate in devising career development plans and talent reviews.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- 5-7 years of hands-on product management experience in a software development organization that builds large-scale distributed systems using a Customer-centric, working backward, metrics driven, iterative product development approach
- 3+ years of experience delivering multiple AI-enabled products from defining the vision and strategy to leading execution by working closely with science and engineering teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills backed by a strong business acumen and technical vision
- Adept at elaborating user scenarios, developing product specifications and devising proof of concept prototypes
- Ability to understand complex technical/architectural trade offs and articulate impact on overall product performance and business implications while tailoring the message to various audience groups (e.g. engineers, researchers, executives)
- Possesses practical knowledge of the machine learning life cycle and associated trade offs.
- Able to make sound decisions related to modeling approaches, ethical considerations, data collection requirements, annotation needs and post deployment continuous learning
- Master’s or P.h.D. Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with machine learning platforms and deploying models at scale in cloud environments (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud)
- Prior machine learning and deep learning experience as a researcher, engineer, or manager
- Ability to script in Python and use data science tools like Spark is a plus
- Familiarity with IoT/Edge AI and implications of running ML models on-device with constrained compute, power and latency budgets
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with police officers to see them use our technology and get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.