Jr. Software Engineer, Real Time Operations
Seattle, Washington /
Software Engineering – Communications /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Real Time Operations in public safety
While enterprise collaboration has experienced a sea change in the past 10 years (think Zoom, Slack, and a bevy of role and domain specific tools), public safety has largely been left behind. Though police officers, firefighters, and emergency medical services personnel put themselves in harm’s way on a daily basis, their ability to communicate and coordinate is hampered by disjointed systems, arcane user interfaces, and technology that was implemented before (and without) modern product design and technology. The news is full of examples of first responders lacking critical information, which leads to less than ideal outcomes.
Axon is in a unique position to address this problem. As the the largest provider of de-escalation training and the creator of the world’s first LTE-connected body camera, we are leading the charge to connect first responders, enable them to make more intelligent decisions, and ultimately save more lives. To that end, the Real Time Ops team is creating a new product category: Axon Respond. Axon Respond integrates sensors, highly important data, and text/voice/video communications into a single platform that enables lightning-fast collaboration. Like all teams at Axon, we value transparency and bias for action, and are looking for talented people from all backgrounds to join us in pulling the future forward into today.
As a software engineer on Axon Respond, you will be intimately involved in shaping the vision for the next generation platform that will power 911. You will work with our senior engineers to drive end-to-end features that solve real customer problems. You have a passion for building amazing product experiences that meet a high bar of quality and performance. You love working with the latest open source technologies, and can leverage your coding skills to make the right technical decisions.
This role will enable you to elevate your skills to the next level. As a junior engineer, you will be mentored by very experienced engineers who will be able to enhance your technical skills. You will also have the opportunity to participate in Axon's mentorship program, where you can have 1:1 mentorship sessions with leaders throughout the company that can accelerate your career trajectory.
Come work in an exciting environment where you use your passion, experience, and analytical skills to help bring new solutions to public safety and leave a positive impact on the world.
- Participating in code reviews and architecture design meetings
- Owning and driving end-to-end features with Product and Design
- Ensuring that your code hits a high bar for quality and performance
- Working with like-minded people who are passionate about our mission
- Working with the latest open source technologies
- Professional software development internship
- Experience designing high quality features in cloud-based systems
- Experience in at least one managed language such as Java, Scala, Go, C#, or similar
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 1+ years professional software development experience
- You follow the latest in software engineering and open source technologies, and can intuit the fine line between promising new practice and overhyped fad
- Industry experience working with SQL or NoSQL datastores
- Good Linux/Unix/Mac experience
- You love delighting end users and hunger for novel challenges
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.