Senior Software Engineer, Real Time Operations
Seattle, Washington /
Software Engineering – Communications /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Real Time Operations in public safety
While enterprise collaboration has experienced a sea change in the past 10 years (think Zoom, Slack, and a bevy of role and domain specific tools), public safety has largely been left behind. Though police officers, firefighters, and emergency medical services personnel put themselves in harm’s way on a daily basis, their ability to communicate and coordinate is hampered by disjointed systems, arcane user interfaces, and technology that was implemented before (and without) modern product design and technology. The news is full of examples of first responders lacking critical information, which leads to less than ideal outcomes.
Axon is in a unique position to address this problem. As the the largest provider of de-escalation training and the creator of the world’s first LTE-connected body camera, we are leading the charge to connect first responders, enable them to make more intelligent decisions, and ultimately save more lives. To that end, the Real Time Ops team is creating a new product category: Axon Respond. Axon Respond integrates sensors, highly important data, and text/voice/video communications into a single platform that enables lightning-fast collaboration. Like all teams at Axon, we value transparency and bias for action, and are looking for talented people from all backgrounds to join us in pulling the future forward into today.
As one of the key Engineering leaders on the team, you will be intimately involved in the architecture decisions that will shape how we integrate sensor information into Axon Respond. You will be designing a system that scales to many different types of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party devices, and will be working on cutting-edge streaming technology to livestream video and audio from Axon body cameras to Axon Respond so that 911 dispatchers can make effective decisions in real-time. You live and breathe cloud services that require high availability and fast, consistent performance. You love working with the latest open source technologies and can leverage your system design skills to make the right technical decisions on a greenfield project.
- Mentoring engineers
- Setting a technical bar for the team through code reviews and architecture design reviews
- Working cross-discipline with Product and Design to ensure specs and designs result in solutions that delight our customers
- Participating in team meetings such as standups and sprint planning
- Building services that adhere to our high bar on availability and latency in this mission-critical space
- 5+ years professional software development experience
- Experience designing and delivering high-availability, scalable cloud-based systems
- Backend service experience in multiple, managed languages such as Java, Scala, Go, C# or similar
- Experience working with SQL or NoSQL data stores
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- You follow the latest in software engineering and open source technologies, and can intuit the fine line between promising new practice and overhyped fad
- Go or Scala programming experience
- Good Linux/Unix/Mac experience
- You love delighting end users and hunger for novel challenges
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- An encouraging parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.