Mobile Engineer: Accessibility
Austin, Texas, USA /
Technology – AI Engineering /
Permanent - Full time
We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us.
We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
We are looking for a Mobile Engineer to join our multidisciplinary accessibility team of designers, researchers, product managers, and accessibility specialists to shape our mobile engineering capabilities and define best practice processes.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about accessibility and inclusive design and has extensive experience building and delivering accessible mobile applications.
As a mobile engineer on the accessibility team you’ll:
- Act as an accessibility subject matter expert for the teams delivering our native and React Native mobile applications
- Advise engineering teams (web, iOS, and Android) as to best accessibility practices with screen readers, zoom tools, and other assistive technologies
- Perform and/or coordinate accessibility assessments of our mobile applications and websites
- Establish and implement enterprise guidelines, best practices, and standards related to designing and maintaining accessible, mobile apps, and online materials
- Assist our engineering teams to create accessible features for our global user base
- Drive forward inclusive practices at Babylon and advocate for all our members
You're perfect for the role if you:
- Can provide accessibility support for web, mobile, design, and other digital asset types
- Have a strong understanding of accessibility expected behaviour specific to both iOS, and Android native apps
- Have experience with native development and or React/React Native
- Have experience with cross-browser, cross-platform, and design constraints on the web and mobile
- Have developed software using Agile, Lean and/or Continuous Delivery approaches
- Are comfortable debugging a wide range of accessibility defects
- Have worked on UI, and are interested in understanding architecture and infrastructure
- You have implemented new features and deployed them to customers on an ongoing basis
- You have experience of working in a cross functional team (Product Owners, UI / UX, Designers and Developers) in a highly collaborative environment where you will also speak to our users and often pair to solve problems
We rely on the following technologies:
- React Native, Redux and GraphQL for our mobile applications
- Kotlin and Swift for our native mobile components
- Java to write our backend microservices
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- AWS for our infrastructure
- Docker to run our services on Kubernetes
- Terraform for our infrastructure provisioning and deployment
We believe that difference inspires a better, healthier world. That’s why it’s at the heart of everything we do. From our people to our products, difference enriches every part of our business and creates a culture based on equality of opportunity, and in which all Babylonians can progress their careers. We’re committed to creating an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy status, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
At Babylon, we have Power of Diversity groups (PODs) to drive positive engagements that create and foster a diverse and inclusive environment and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse pool of candidates.
Our mission is to put an accessible and affordable health service in the hands of every person on earth. Diversity and inclusion play a key role in helping us bring this mission to life and create a true sense of belonging for all.