Software Engineer - Android
Engineering - Software /
Backbone is looking for a skilled Android engineer. An Android engineer is responsible for building the Backbone App which represents the next evolution in mobile gaming. You will work with other members of the mobile team, Data Science, Product, Design, Core Gaming, Devices, and many others to turn ideas into reality. As you help bring more people into gaming, there will be work with major gaming platforms and other partners to help integrate their content into the application.
You will get to help influence the product roadmap for the mobile application and other teams. Use modern technologies and help drive the technical roadmap to ensure Backbone has an awesome codebase. Enjoy your job from anywhere as the team is fully remote or join people at one of our offices in Portland and San Francisco.
- Develop, architect, and ship core product features in our Android app
- Build elegant and maintainable code, writing automated tests to enable us to move fast and deliver quality
- Handle performance testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and releasing the application each week
- Manage and improve our Android Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery systems
- Research new technologies and tooling for build and release
- Mentoring other engineers on the team to help level up the engineering organization.
- 5+ years of experience understanding of Android development frameworks and app fundamentals
- Significant experience developing and shipping real-world Android applications of a very high quality and polish
- Strong computer science and software engineering fundamentals
- Understanding of modern application architecture paradigms and associated strengths and weaknesses
- Excellent attention to detail and an eye for visuals. Design skills are not required but you should be able to critique and modify existing designs
- You are experienced with profiling and optimization of Android apps
- You are experienced with Jetpack compose and Kotlin
- You are experienced with reactive programming (e.g., RxKotlin or Kotlin Coroutines) and GraphQL
Join the Backbone Team!
"Backbone feels as first-party as you could make something that is literally not first-party feel." - [TechCrunch](https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/27/with-backing-from-mr-beast-and-nadeshot-backbone-one-could-finally-crack-competitive-mobile-gaming/)
“The way that Backbone unifies gaming experiences... feels like the way of the future for mobile gaming in a way that none of the individual players… [have] managed to get right.” - [TechCrunch](https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/28/hit-backbone-iphone-controller-scores-xbox-game-pass-partnership-at-xclouds-ios-launch-today/)
$165,000 - $175,000 a year