Senior Product Designer
San Francisco, CA /
BackerKit enables thousands of creators worldwide to focus on doing what they love.
Our software is the premier platform for backer management, empowering project creators to manage their creative endeavors with confidence. We are constantly improving on our tools to help crowdfunding at the intersection of marketing, advertising, fulfillment and e-commerce.
We’re a profitable, self-funded start-up with a diverse, close-knit team that prizes creativity, enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn. If you're interested in working with a great team and amazing customers to constantly improve the way creators interact with their fans, we’d love to chat about how you can help us build, scale, and improve our market-leading platform.
As a Product team, we work iteratively and purposely avoid thinking too far into the future when deciding what to build. BackerKit has made it this far by listening to our customers and building what makes sense.
We are looking to take our product research and strategy to the next level. The ideal person for this role will conduct and manage our research process and deliver insights for the team. This role will also have a huge impact on the overall strategy for the Product team and help define our roadmap for future development for our software and services.
The founders are a developer/designer duo who met while working on Diaspora, the first highly successful crowdfunded open source software project. Our commitment to helping creative people be creative starts with them and drives us every day.
Sound interesting? We’d love to hear from you.
What we are looking for in a Senior Product Designer
- You believe in the agile process - You're able to work closely with developers and designers to push forward meaningful product changes in an iterative way.
- You take a data-driven approach and use a strong analytical background to help identify patterns and move our product forward.
- You love to hear the good and the bad from our users and translate that feedback into actionable changes to our product and processes.
- You are a great communicator - You're a great listener, you ask great questions, and are able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to our team and our customers.
- You’re passionate for creators - You're curious about what creators do and strive to become an expert in the crowdfunding space.
- You have a scrappy mentality - You’re able to identify problems outside the scope of your normal day-to-day tasks that move our processes or the product forward.
- You love shipping software fast - You know that it’s better to ship things too early than too late. You believe that the best way to get feedback is to put changes into the hands of users.
- You can read more about our Product team here: https://www.backerkit.com/blog/behind-the-scenes-meet-backerkits-head-designer
What working at BackerKit will look like
- You will listen to and empathize with our customers - Expect to listen to our users, ask them lots of questions, learn their motivations, and understand their pain points.
- You will continue to help the team release early and often. We deploy new code to our users at least once a day. Frequently more often than that.
- Own a feature lifecycle - You will conduct research, analyze, create mocks, and work with developers to release the feature in an iterative way.
- Work alongside our Product team to identify research topics.
- Drive our research process using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Communicate directly with creators and record feedback (surveys, interviews, etc).
- Generate insights and present results to the team.
- Contribute to strategic product decisions based on insights.
- Fuel our Product team with ideation and initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with our dev, sales, marketing, success, and support teams.
Skills and experience we'd like you possess
- You have 5+ years of product development experience on an agile team (SaaS is a plus).
- You have experience working at a startup from its inception or have worked independently as a contractor at a startup, so you know what it takes to build products from the ground up.
- You have impeccable product management skills, know how to prioritize tasks, and know how to work independently.
- You have a passion for finding the right problems to solve and knowing how to ask the right questions.
- You have the ability to impact our dev team with your front-end web development expertise.
- You have the ability to get stuff done in a fast-paced, no-nonsense organization.
- You can think big picture but are also tactical. We trust everyone on our team to make bold choices and do what is best to grow the company.
Send us a note on what drives you and why you’re excited about BackerKit. Please share with us a portfolio link or PDF to case studies that apply research insights to solutions that actually shipped.
BackerKit is remote-friendly through 2021, but will be back working in our office in San Francisco, so applicants planning on being located in the Bay Area are preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We here at BackerKit will always respect pronouns and identities when addressing candidates who feel comfortable sharing theirs.
BackerKit is committed to a culture of inclusion and belonging. We believe that crowdfunding is for everyone, and strive to build a company that reflects the diverse backgrounds of the creators we currently serve and hope to serve in the future.