San Francisco, CA /
BackerKit enables thousands of creators worldwide to focus on doing what they love.
Our software is the premier platform for backer management, empowering project creators to manage their creative endeavors with confidence.
We’re a profitable, self-funded start-up with a diverse, close-knit team that prizes creativity, enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn.
If you're interested in working with a great team and amazing customers to constantly improve the way creators interact with their fans, we’d love to chat about how you can help us build, scale, and improve our market-leading platform.
As a Product team, we work iteratively and we purposely avoid thinking too far into the future when deciding what to build. BackerKit has made it this far by listening to our customers and building what makes sense. As we grow we’re considering the balance of reduced assumptions and increasing capacity and we’re excited for new members to help us find that balance.
The founders are a developer/designer duo who met while working on Diaspora, the first highly successful crowdfunded open source software project. Our commitment to helping creative people be creative starts with them and drives us every day.
What we're looking for in a PM
- You believe in the agile process - you're able to work closely with Developers and Designers to push forward meaningful changes in an iterative way.
- You take a data-driven approach and use a strong analytical background to help identify patterns and move our product forward.
- You love to hear the good and bad from our users and translate that feedback into actionable changes to our product and processes.
- You are a great communicator - You are a great listener, you ask great questions, and are able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to our team and our customers.
- You’re passionate for creators - Curious about what creators do and strive to become an expert in the space.
- You have a scrappy mentality; You’re able to identify problems outside the scope of your normal day-to-day tasks that move our process or the product forward.
- You love shipping software fast - you know that it’s better to ship things too early than too late. You believe that the best way to get feedback is to put the changes into the hands of users.
What we're working on
- Continuing to improve on our tools to help crowdfunding at the intersection of marketing, advertising, fulfillment and e-commerce.
What working at BackerKit will look like
- You will listen to and empathize with our customers - expect to listen to our users, ask them lots of questions, learn their motivation and understand their pain points.
- You will continue to help the team release early and often. We deploy new code to our users at least once a day. Frequently more often than that.
- Own a feature lifecycle - you will conduct research, analyze, create mocks and work with the developers to release the feature in an iterative way.
- Manage the backlog - you will have a hold on what the developers are working on everyday and make sure they are unblocked. Be the final say for accepting the stories/tickets and manage deploying those changes to our production environment.
Skills and experience we'd like you possess
- You’ve spent time (2-4 years) working as a PM on an agile team. (SaaS is a plus)
- Able to use SQL to observe patterns and deliver key insights about our users, etc.
- You have experience using spreadsheets to effectively gather and interpret data.
- Technical understanding of basic web frameworks, particularly as a way to effectively write stories/tickets for the development team
- You're an amazing communicator verbally and in writing to users, the team, and other departments, especially around the changes we are making and why we are making them.
- Excellent organizational skills particularly around prioritizing tasks for yourself and others.
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- Stipends for supporting creators of your choosing
- Medical, dental, vision, and 401k benefits (with employer match!)
- Family-friendly and focused on maintaining a healthy work/life balance
- Awesome work environment at a company with a huge vision
- Annual Learning and Development stipend to support your professional growth
- Stipend to set up your work from home environment
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We here at BackerKit will always respect pronouns and identities when addressing candidates who feel comfortable sharing theirs.
BackerKit is committed to a culture of inclusion and belonging. We believe that crowdfunding is for everyone, and strive to build a company that reflects the diverse backgrounds of the creators we currently serve and hope to serve in the future.