Senior Product Designer - Design Systems (Onsite or fully remote)
BUREAU OF TECHNOLOGY – PRODUCT /
LONG TERM CONTRACT (CDI)
Founded in 2014, BackMarket is the first online marketplace dedicated exclusively to refurbished electronic devices. With 158M€ raised already, we are sabotaging ‘new’ by connecting highly selected certified professionals to consumers who are looking for a more affordable, reliable and ecological alternative to purchasing brand new products.
Leading the way in a shift towards a circular economy, freeing the planet from electronic waste, and building a global leading tech company are three solid reasons to wake up very morning. Taking part in BackMarket’s adventure means committing to an ambitious project with a strong social and environmental impact!
We are committed to providing an inclusive, fulfilling and caring work environment in all our offices (Paris, Bordeaux, New-York, Prague and Berlin). This is an opportunity for you to join a talented, humble and passionate team at the heart of innovation : our Bureau Of Technology.
Employees for this role can be based from our Berlin, Bordeaux, New York, or Paris office. We’re also open to fully remote employees based in or around Berlin, Bordeaux, London, New York or Paris.
The Product Design & Research team at Back Market are passionate about informing and building interfaces with the user as our focus.
We zoom out to see the bigger picture, but also understand the devil is in the details. We are responsible for the user experience on Back Market, whether that be our customers or merchants, and through designing, prototyping, testing, and iterating, we evolve it in collaboration with different (and extraordinary) people.
We do this because we want to make the world a better place. After all our goal is to offer more than just an alternative avenue to buy tech products, we want to do e-commerce differently. <3
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer, with an initial mission as our Design Systems Expert, to help us meet our customer’s expectations.
You’ll come onboard to manage the development and application of our current design system: from identifying opportunities for reuse, building and evolving our library, and enabling usability of the system via clear documentation.
You’ll elevate our Design System to a higher standard, be it’s advocate in front of collaborators and peers, and help us innovate new features and ideas with a clear coherency in our craft.
You will be responsible for :
- Bringing designers (product & brand), product owners and engineers together to build, maintain, and evolve a robust design system for Back Market’s B2C & B2B touchpoints (Responsive Web, iOS, and Android)
- Collaborating with designers and engineers to define the scope and reach of the Design System
- Driving the processes with our Front End Lead that enables the smooth operation of the Design System, from contribution guidelines, versioning, and access
- Contributing to the development of the brand and product values and it’s experience principles
- Helping us ensure our experiences adhere to accessibility standards and other relevant practices
- Proactively advocating your impact and autonomously communicating progress, learnings, and goals to the company and beyond
You’re perfect for this role if :
- You have extensive experience working in a growing design & research team and can talk about how you have worked with stakeholders to deliver impact in dynamic environments
- You demonstrate in-depth knowledge in design systems you have owned or have heavily contributed to. You have a collection of best practices and know what to avoid or test
- You have been called a Figma ninja. You bring the creation of easy-to-use libraries and documentation (that’s actually useful) to the party
- You have your ear to the ground regarding new tools and technologies that help our design system and processes be more efficient and effective
- You have a passion to help our small team grow. You can contribute inclusive design practices, are comfortable in voicing your opinion, and love mentoring and coaching others
- You are obsessive about UI design and are a bit of a nit-picker when it comes to execution. You know what there is to know about how patterns and behaviours differ between platforms
- You think about interfaces not as static pixels but as dynamic experiences and can express yourself with motion, flows and stories
- You are inherently curious, you are idealistic but you challenge the status quo responsibility and can always find the middle ground
- You are comfortable in communicating professionally in English as we are an international team
Recruitment process :
- Call with HR
- Interview with Ray, our Head of Design
- Live Design challenge with the design team
- Interview with the wider team
- Interview with one of our founders
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN US ?
• A meaningful job : through hard work, you will help avoid thousands of tons of electronic waste and fight against planned obsolescence. It counts!
• An attractive salary, equity, multiple benefits (meal tickets, health insurance, etc...), parental benefits, remote friendly, relocation package, internal events, etc…
• Technical challenges all day every day : you will have the freedom to innovate and adapt new ideas!
• Work with passionate experts who will share their knowledge and help you develop and grow! (Backademy, technical guilds, Meet-up & Conference)
• Grow your career with a flexible career path, BackMarket can help you evolve!
• A booming scale-up: our environment is rapidly growing in Europe, the USA and soon in Asia!
• A lot of fun : you will have the opportunity to work in a fast paced, open minded and friendly environment.
Backmarket is an Equal Opportunity Employer for any minority, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.