Senior Network Engineer - DevOps (Open to full remote)
BUREAU OF TECHNOLOGY – DEVOPS /
LONG TERM CONTRACT (CDI)
Back Market is the #1 marketplace for refurbished electronic devices in Europe and in the US, leading the way in a shift towards a circular economy, freeing the planet from electronic waste. We are proud to sabotage ‘new’ by connecting highly certified professionals to consumers who are looking for a more affordable, reliable and an ecological alternative to purchasing brand new products.
Back Market is undergoing meteoric growth and has raised over 434M€ already! We have the objective of reaching 650 Back Makers (or Saboteurs) by the end of 2021! We are thrilled to have an inclusive, fulfilling and caring work environment in all our offices (Paris, Bordeaux, New-York, Prague and Berlin). This is an opportunity for you to join a talented, humble and passionate team at the heart of innovation : the Bureau Of Technology
Be a part of the movement. Join the refurb revolution.
The Infrastructure team is made of 6 people based in Paris but also in other cities in France that come from various horizons and have diverse skills and backgrounds. We provide a robust and scalable infrastructure to host services developed by the Bureau of Technology, and monitor to ensure system health. We strive to always improve the platform stability, performance and security, and to provide the best developer experience while keeping costs under control.
As a Senior Network Engineer you will be in charge of designing and operating the network used by the cloud infrastructure that support Back Market websites in Europe, America and Asia. You’ll be using Infrastructure as Code tools like TerraForm to implement it, and aim to provide resilience and elasticity to the Kubernetes clusters running in the AWS/GCP clouds. Part of the Platform Tribe, the infrastructure team works closely with the developers to provide tools and processes they need to build and run new features while promoting the DevOps culture, like Continuous Deployment. You’ll also help developers tackle their challenges by providing best-in-class architecture.
Your work will be to build and operate the best-in-class network topology for our Kubernetes clusters, allowing it to scale with the business. This includes among other things VPC configuration and peering, VPN, CNI, Ingress, Service Mesh, and API Gateway implementation/operation. You’ll help us with the challenges we’re facing related to our multi-accounts, multi-providers architecture that is available across multiple continents. You’ll for instance work with our DBA team to help build a geo-distributed database. Security will also be one of your critical concerns.
Your deep knowledge of the HTTP Protocol will allow you to optimize the requests made to our website to provide the best experience possible to our customers and merchants, by configuring the HTTP cache system we use from CloudFlare to achieve the highest hit/cache ratio with a intelligent invalidation system preventing unnecessary requests to reach our infrastructure while enabling SEO to crawl as many pages as possible each time.
You’ll help teams leverage CDN, following best-practices you intend to define with our architects and share them with developers, making the experience on our websites the most swift and frictionless possible for all our customers, mobile or not, in current and future markets.
Among other things you’ll be able to lead or to be part of working groups to think, compare, test, propose, decide, implement and run new projects that are part of the roadmap we define together for each quarter. We are looking for people passionate about technology, but who also aim to make the best choices based on the business needs they intend to cover. We strongly believe that many people can build complex solutions, but we’d rather build solutions that are as appropriate and simple as possible: therefore deliverable, reliable and maintainable. We can always add more complexity later on if we need to.
You’ll do your best to automate what can be, provide documentation and training to developers, and proposing any enhancement you deem relevant. You’ll be encouraged to take a step backwards and think about the global picture, and communicate with others to share your ideas, as we value everyone’s.
You’ll also take part in on-call rotations to ensure the websites are running as expected, and report incidents to our incident tracking to prevent them from becoming problems.
- At least a 5 years experience in an Infrastructure or Network Engineer position.
- Strong understanding of DevOps principles
- Expert on OSI model all the way down, and you can operate fluently in level 2-3, 4 and 7 indistinguishably
- Able to build fast and secure architecture
- You have a successful experience in Cloud infrastructure, and container orchestrators: Kubernetes is a plus
- Ingress Controller, Service Mesh and API Gateway are components that you’ll handle or work with
- Understanding of HTTP protocol and you can help developers design the fastest applications using CDN and HTTP Caching
- You’re modest and value cordial debates over trying to “win”
- Always learning from others
- You are autonomous in a way that allow you to drive a tech topic until its realization
- And you like to do this as a team, while communicating about it regularly
- Willingness to be involved in the run and on-call with a "whatever it takes" attitude
- You like infrastructure and design it for the success of the business
- You make sure to always include security from the ground up
- You have an interest in programming and especially Go, and are open to other technologies
- You aim to always stay up to date and make sure to read on a regular basis tech news
- Interest in a challenging technical environment: AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, Terraform, Terragrunt, GoLang, Django, Flask, DataDog, Spinnaker, Cloudflare, Docker, etc
- Great verbal and written communication skills, in English
Recruitment process :
* Call with our engineering recruiter
* Technical video interview with tech team, cross-functional
* Video interview with Hiring Manager + another leader in Engineering
* Video interview with Head of Platform
* Interview with Thibaud our CEO and Co-founder
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN US ?
• A meaningful job: through hard work, you will help avoid thousands of tons of electronic waste and fight against planned obsolescence. It counts!
• An attractive salary, equity, multiple benefits (meal tickets, health insurance, etc...), parental benefits, remote-friendly, relocation package, internal events, etc…
• Technical challenges all day every day: you will have the freedom to innovate and adopt new ideas!
• Work with passionate experts who will share their knowledge and help you develop and grow! (Backademy, technical guilds, Meet-up & Conference)
• Grow your career with a flexible career path, BackMarket can help you evolve!
• A booming scale-up: our environment is rapidly growing in Europe, the USA and soon in Asia!
• A lot of fun: you will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, open-minded and friendly environment.
BackMarket is an Equal Opportunity Employer for any minority, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.