Chief Content Officer
Brand + Content /
At Backstage (www.backstage.com), we’re focused on providing the best career platform to match performing artists and crew with talent seekers in film, television, commercials, branded content, theater, and more worldwide.
We are looking for a talented Chief Content Officer with mastery of the online content ecosystem, and a demonstrated ability to grow audiences across digital channels to join our team. The person in this role will drive content strategy and execution to service our two-sided marketplace of performers and talent seekers, and will oversee our team of writers and editors to create best in class print and digital editorial content. The right candidate will understand how to set up an edit team to create significant weekly content offerings that serve different audience segments while maintaining a consistent voice and high-quality content.
While proximity to NYC is preferred for this role, we are open to remote candidates in North America, South America, and the Western European time zone.
- Develop and execute editorial strategy by target and segment to grow the reach and value of the Backstage audience and brand across organic search, social media, and more.
- Define Backstage tone and voice, and ensure tone consistency across all Backstage editorial pieces.
- Verify that editorial content is built to scale across site, and work closely with product to structure content to take advantage of that reach.
- Direct, manage, and motivate freelance and staff editors, writers and photographers to deliver consistent, engaging, and accurate best-in-class content and features optimized for digital consumption by deadlines.
- Oversee quality control and final production of content across Backstage print, digital and social assets.
- Create editorial calendars and direct content mix.
- Report on KPIs and use analytics data to help inform and refine the editorial strategy.
- Work closely with the marketing and social team to optimize content to draw and convert users.
- Collaborate with partnerships and sales teams to provide content support for execution on various deals and promotions.
- Confirm that editorial content is optimized to meet the business objectives of all Backstage stakeholders.
- Create, evolve, and deliver a superb weekly magazine to Backstage’s audience while fulfilling all sales and marketing goals.
- Self-directed multitasker accustomed to meeting tight deadlines.
- Proven track record growing and serving audiences across digital channels.
- Strategic and analytical; you use data and insights to inform editorial decisions, and you enjoy strategizing about the best ways to use content to engage a growing and shifting user base.
- Meticulous and detail oriented, with exceptional project management and people skills.
- Knowledgeable about theater, film/tv, and the performing arts, you possess a willingness to learn and understand the various complexities of the changing Backstage landscape.
- A terrific manager and strong communicator.
- 7+ years progressive experience on an editorial or content team; must have significant experience leading a successful content team and developing and fostering young talent.
- Strong command of SEO, email marketing, metadata structure, optimization of social channels, and web analytics.
- Exceptional writing, copy editing, and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create, update and optimize libraries of long form and evergreen service content across a particular industry or market.
- Expertise in using editorial content to achieve business goals.
- Strong experience creating, optimizing, and distributing content across diverse platforms, both digital and analog.
- Track record creating beats, and managing a group of writers/editors covering a beat.
- Experience in developing educational content, such as courses and webinars.
- Experience in audio/video production services and/or strategy.
- A love for all things film, theater and acting!
- Collaborative work environment where you’ll learn about and influence every aspect of the business
- Summer Fridays, happy hours, and access to other local music events
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- The opportunity to work with talented leaders in their disciplines
- A company that works with you to learn, grow, and excel in your career
Backstage is the leading platform in creative talent placement in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Continental Europe. Backstage properties include Backstage, Mandy, and StarNow for hiring actors, models, voiceover artists, and crew; and Sonicbids, for booking musicians -- with plans to launch additional verticals organically, through acquisition, and by expanding to new markets across the globe. Nowhere else will you find the same combination of startup energy, trailblazing innovation, and entertainment industry creativity built upon the solid foundation of one of the industry’s most beloved and recognized names.
We are a passionate, agile team who are disrupting the creative talent placement marketplace through product-first design, leading technology, and a proven business model. At the heart of our success and growth are a tight-knit group of hardcore technologists, writers, marketers, and product designers who believe that collaboration creates a better experience for our users. Our team reflects and upholds our mission to level the playing field by presenting opportunities for careers in the arts to creatives from diverse backgrounds in all corners of the world.
We offer benefits including health insurance (vision and dental available), 401K, and tickets/tuition for select conferences/courses.