Data Warehouse Engineer
As a Data Warehouse Engineer at Backstage, you will not only have the opportunity build and grow our data infrastructure to support the company in insights, analysis, and predictive product features, but also you will work with the latest tools and technologies to automate routine tasks and build new data applications. You will lead the effort to develop our unified data warehouse using state-of-the-art data infrastructure components to enable engineering, analytics, and product teams to incorporate data insights into our product and BI tools. Alongside this extensive and ongoing project, you will take part in the development of our existing website as well as new APIs and a green-field web+API project we plan to launch in a new vertical later this year.
This is a unique opportunity to work closely with an agile, quality driven team that is focused on using data to solve challenges in a stable and profitable company with a startup culture. Our team is experienced, small, nimble, and moves quickly, with minimal overhead. We emphasize shipping software, and we deploy to web daily. We go out of our way to make opportunities for everyone to learn and build new skills, but we don't go out of our way to have fun doing it -- that just happens naturally!
- Collaborate with business stakeholders, other engineers, and product managers to define reporting requirements and design and develop operational reporting solutions and advanced analytics
- Plan, analyze, design, develop and deploy solutions to ingest, transform and deliver business critical data each day from various sources
- Build upon and improve our current Looker platform to give our business users deeper insight into their daily needs
- Own the design and deployment of the new data warehouse and ETL processes
- Provide production support and troubleshooting, manage and ensure availability of the reporting server architecture; monitor and communicate downtime and technical issues and respond quickly to failovers to maintain normal operations
- Advise in capacity planning and service performance analysis and tuning
- Produce scalable, robust, high-quality code
- 5+ years software development experience
- 2+ years Python experience
- Deep understanding of various database structures, concepts, uses and practices
- Knowledge of postgresql, mysql and expert knowledge of SQL
- Previous experience designing OLAP database schemas and building and maintaining a data warehouse
- Strong understanding of Unix / Linux, with comfort of tweaking OS configurations to maximize program efficiency
- Must be able to work in an agile environment with little supervision
- Self-directed, "get it done" attitude
- Must embody a passion for continuous improvement
- Desire and ability to continuously learn new technologies and skills
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of advertising technologies, techniques, pitfalls, opportunities.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (Redshift, S3, Data Pipeline, EMR, Kinesis).
- Experience with system automation tools (Bamboo, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience with payments and specifically recurring payments industry experience
- Familiarity with Django, web development, and/or RESTful APIs
- Experience with R, Pandas and other data processing tools / languages.
Backstage, LLC, is the leading platform in creative talent placement. We are a close knit, agile team that is changing the way casting works through technical innovation, product design and a solid business model. At the heart of our success and growth resides a group of hardcore technologists and product designers who share a tight bond and believe that collaboration creates a better experience for our users. As part of the company you will be a part of creating a world class user experience by utilizing your talents anywhere they will be useful.