VP of Legal & General Counsel
Los Angeles, CA /
Ranked by Forbes as one of America’s best startup employers in 2020, Bambee is a growth stage, venture-backed startup that is developing and deploying best-in-class Human Resources technology and services, while reimagining employment for the largest segment of the job market - small businesses. Bambee consists of self-starters - past and future entrepreneurs who view their departments like small companies. As a member of the Bambee team, you have an insatiable drive for results. Solving customers’ problems excites you. Data guides you. Results inspire you.
Bambee’s goal to offer Human Resources for $99/month has never been done. The team accomplishing this is a team full of drivers. What are you? If you’re a passenger, thanks for reading. If you’re a driver, join us.
We are looking for a VP of Legal / General Counsel to help build, manage, and lead the legal team at Bambee. Your main objective will be to minimize legal risk and maintain compliance as we continue to rapidly expand. You will be responsible for effectively scaling the company’s legal function and working cross-functionally to guide our team on a broad range of legal matters as we launch new industry-first products. To be successful you should have significant experience managing and scaling legal teams and have ideally already helped take a hyper-growth company public.
- Develop and implement the mission for the legal department and set our legal strategy around product, corporate, regulatory, and commercial opportunities
- Partner cross-functionally to understand team-wide objectives and goals in order to ensure we maintain compliance across all divisions as we rapidly scale
- Advise on and enforce corporate governance and compliance for Bambee and its subsidiaries
- Lead, develop, and grow the legal team in an efficient manner while managing the overall P&L for the legal team
- Keep current and advise on the potential impact of new, and proposed law and corporate governance developments, market trends and best practices that could impact Bambee and its subsidiaries
- Develop training programs and a scalable plan to ensure our external-facing teams remain compliant and are fully versed on the scope of our products and services
- Partner with Finance to optimize corporate structure, form new entities and maintain existing entities as needed
- Partner with finance to draft, review, and negotiate documentation for corporate finance transactions, including venture financing, equity/debt offerings, M&A, and joint ventures
- Coordinate and oversee relationships with external counsel and legal advisors
- Monitor and administer the contract review, negotiation, and approval process for all 3rd party agreements
- Partner with the internal Human Resource department around employment law and employment relation matters
- Previous general counsel or associate general counsel experience at a rapidly growing company
- JD in Business or Employment Law or comparable education or experience
- 15+ years of progressive legal experience and technology industry experience
- Proven leadership skills with experience managing direct reports
- High standard of ethics along with the ability to act with discretion, strict confidentiality, and sensitivity towards issues and individuals
- Must possess strong project management skills and be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to be proactive, prioritize, and work under tight deadlines in a service-oriented and aggressive sales-driven environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, editing and document preparation skills, and high attention to detail required
What’s In It For you?
Bambee cares deeply about employee well being and is proud to offer the following benefits and perks:
Equity, 401(k) with an automatic 3% contribution (even if you don't contribute!), Unlimited vacation, Medical, dental, and vision insurance with options that are 100% employer paid, Life insurance, Generous health and wellness stipend, $500 personal travel stipend to promote new life and travel experiences, Sponsorship for participation in arts and cultural events, Weekly summer movie nights, Dog-friendly office, Commuter benefits, Fully stocked kitchen (kombucha and cold brew on tap!), Annual staff retreat, Frequent company dinners and happy hours, Professional development
About The Founder
Bambee was founded in 2016 by Allan Jones (2x-entrepreneur & ex-CMO of ZipRecruiter, and Head of Product at Docstoc [acquired by Intuit]), who has a proven track record in developing successful product and marketing strategies for small businesses/HR.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.