Principal Backend Engineer
Ranked by Forbes as one of America’s best startup employers in 2020, Bambee is a growth stage, venture-backed startup that is developing and deploying best-in-class Human Resources technology and services, while reimagining employment for the largest segment of the job market - small businesses. Bambee consists of self-starters - past and future entrepreneurs who view their departments like small companies. As a member of the Bambee team, you have an insatiable drive for results. Solving customers’ problems excites you. Data guides you. Results inspire you.
Bambee’s goal to offer Human Resources for $99/month has never been done. The team accomplishing this is a team full of drivers. What are you? If you’re a passenger, thanks for reading. If you’re a driver, join us.
We are looking for remote engineers that love and have chosen to specialize in backend development, and love working within Node/Express and both NoSQL (MongoDB/Mongoose) and SQL DBs (postgres). As a backend engineer, you have best practices and mental frameworks that you are proud of and clearly communicate your design principles. You are familiar with infrastructure and have experience in configuring AWS services, Docker containers, Kubernetes clusters, and strategizing infrastructure needs with the DevOps team.
- Working with cross-functional team members to produce backend services to support business requirements
- Creating API services for frontend consumption
- Developing an API versioning plan to implement and maintain backward compatibility
- Planning and releasing new services and database schemas
- Strategy to increase source code automated test coverage
- Ensure API services are maintainable and debuggable through proper automated tests and logging procedures.
- Ensure deployments are handled gracefully through proper data schema management and migrations.
- Enforcing security practices to ensure data integrity
- Guiding architectural standards & best practices
- Designing complex, yet scalable & maintainable backend services & infrastructure
- Key contributor on data model design & integrity
- Being a technical leader and mentor for others - a positive multiplier for the team
Skills & Qualifications
- 3+ years in our primary stack or close equivalent (Node/Loopback)
- Solid understanding of relational (sql) and unstructured (nosql) data modeling
- Ability to clearly communicate complex technical concepts
- Familiarity with AWS (and EKS)
- Proven record of launching and maintaining robust API services that have gone through the test of time supporting high volume transactions.
- Deep knowledge of microservice architecture and service interaction patterns
- Strong understanding of source code branching & deployment strategies
- Experience with event driven architecture
- Understanding of domain drive design modeling
- MongoDB / Postgres
- Mongoose / TypeORM
- Data Serialization: Protocol Buffers / GRPC / JSON
Bonus Points For
- DevOps experience
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline management
- Experience with test automation
- HR industry experience
What’s In It For you?
Bambee cares deeply about employee well being and is proud to offer the following benefits and perks:
Equity, 401(k), Unlimited vacation, Medical, dental, and vision insurance, Life insurance, Generous health and wellness stipend, $500 personal travel stipend to promote new life and travel experiences, Sponsorship for participation in arts and cultural events, Weekly summer movie nights, Dog-friendly office, Commuter benefits, Fully stocked kitchen (kombucha and cold brew on tap!), Annual staff retreat, Frequent company dinners and happy hours, Professional development
About The Founder
Bambee was founded in 2016 by Allan Jones (2x-entrepreneur & ex-CMO of ZipRecruiter, and Head of Product at Docstoc [acquired by Intuit]), who has a proven track record in developing successful product and marketing strategies for small businesses/HR.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.