New York, New York
At BAM, we move stories forward for technology-driven brands that challenge, change, and create entire industries. Our clients span a wide range of categories, representing some of the most exciting companies in the startup space and beyond. We take pride in challenging the status-quo and firmly believe in the opportunity of new ideas, creating captivating brand experiences through every point of interaction. Our Creative Team is growing and we’re looking for an experienced Content Director to take the helm, someone who loves AP style as much as they do creative writing, pixel perfection as much as abstract art. Your skills will help grow BAM as an agency and our clients. While collaborating with others and reporting to the CEO/founder, this role will be accountable for creating and overseeing all written and visual content produced for our agency and our client campaigns, working in close tandem with all account services team members, BAM’s marketing department, and BAM’s VC relations team.
The ideal candidate is goal oriented, and while they care deeply about the perfect adjective choice, they also never lose track of the big picture: successful campaigns always need to get people to change their behaviors to serve specific business needs. This Content Director will demonstrate an ability to manage projects (with others and independently), provide strategy (around BAM- and client-specific campaigns), and also get in the weeds to write endless amounts of content. Nothing is “above” or “below” you - you are a team player every single day regardless of title.
What you'll do:
- Lead the development of editorial frameworks and story abstract development for client programs
- Create and copy edit bylines, op-eds, contributed content, web copy, social media copy (in conjunction with the Social Media Manager), blog posts, and more while ensuring the highest quality work product at all times
- Lead story abstract development and story-mining calls with internal teams and clients
- Lead brand narrative and messaging architecture workshops, ensuring balance between biases
- /8Lead brainstorms and big campaign idea creation across every account – helping us uplevel the type of campaigns and ideas we're bringing to clients that will be "award worthy"
- Demonstrate your brand strategy experience to be able to handle and run point on most messaging workshops we bring in
- Proven management skills to be able to direct and manage a stable of writers
- Strategize on placement of contributed content
- Participate in responding to new business opportunities, as appropriate
- Supervise a cross-functional team encompassing design, social media, and content creators in the strategic development of messages and deliverables
- Solid journalism/editorial experience, demonstrating ability to create written content for B2B, B2C, and B2B2C audiences
- Ability to develop content that integrates with online and offline experiences, spanning mobile, print, etc. mediums
- Leadership skills, but also hands-on
- Be a self-starter who ideates, creates and edits materials without constant supervision
- Ensure realistic deadlines are set and deadlines are met, over-communicating throughout the process, while prioritizing work and resources based on short- and long-term needs
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with Creative Team, and Account Services when needed, while maintaining strategic and creative thinking to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives in a fiscally responsible manner
- Review and approve art and copy developed by the team, ensuring deliverables that effectively address goals and challenges
- Produce fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas into compelling print materials and digital experiences for visually sophisticated audiences
- Present, or oversee presentation of final concepts, and obtain approvals for deliverables
- Understanding and past experience creating integrated content across all marketing channels from digital, social media, paid media, mobile, but also understand offline and print
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives
- Written examples/portfolio of completed and/or published work is a must
- Minimum of 7 years of high-level experience with design development in-house or in an agency setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications/English, or PR highly preferred.
- Competitive compensation based on experience (salary range: $105-$125k).
- 3pm Fridays year round
- Matching 401K
- Bonuses of 10% of your salary, no matter your position
- Learning & Development stipend
- Wellness stipend
- Client bonuses (re-signed contracts, exceeded goals, etc.)
- Full health, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly “BAMmy” awards to recognize those who showcase our core values
- Paid Christmas Eve to day after New Years day vacation
- Paid volunteer time off
- Quarterly "remote weeks"
- Flex time and remote days
- Ample paid vacation, PTO, and sick time
- 8 week fully paid maternity/paternity leaves
- Constant feedback and “Extreme Ownership” ethos culture
- On site pool and full gym at our lovely San Diego headquarters
- Monthly outings and perks such as paid Pilates passes, coffee stipends, etc.
- Semi-annual offsite retreats at wonderful places
- Democratic management style allowing the team say in new clients and management decisions
- Dog and baby friendly offices
In order to be considered for this position, you must complete the application in its entirety by answering the 7 "Interview Questions" included with the application. Why? Because we know how lucky we are to work here and we want to be sure that the folks we are talking to feel as strongly about working here as we do!