Senior Software Engineer [Undead Labs]
Undead Labs – Engineering /
An experienced individual contributor who is responsible for building technical solutions for a broad variety of game features. As a member of the software engineering team, you will help devise architecture, patterns and practices for multiple key gameplay systems. Your work will be instrumental in bringing players together to carve out safety, community and hope in a world forever changed by a zombie apocalypse. If you enjoy working across a wide range of technical areas, creating highly player-focused experiences, and collaborating with peers in an inclusive workplace focused on amazing careers, this role may be a great fit for you.
Your skills in software development, debugging, systems architecture and documenting engineering practices will be critical to your success. As a senior software engineer on the team, you will tackle complex software engineering problems, lead by example, and support other engineers in our shared goal of creating an amazing product for our millions of fans.
At Undead Labs, we work in highly collaborative, cross-discipline teams because we understand that the best ideas are ones we generate together. We are creators of the hit survival-fantasy franchise State of Decay, played by millions, and we operate independently as part of a network of first-party Microsoft studios. We have a rich history of entrepreneurship and empowerment that will carry us forward as we reach new levels of quality, ambition, and polish.
Core Responsibilities & Objectives
- Write, maintain and optimize production-quality C++ code
- Design and build large, foundational software systems to support the implementation of game mechanics or engine features
- Work collaboratively with your colleagues to prototype, iterate on, and deliver software solutions
- Apply your knowledge, critical thinking skills, unique perspective and ideas to the production of our games
- Make pragmatic and player-experienced-focused decisions about your work through prototyping, analysis of player feedback and telemetry, and design consultation
- Provide mentorship to other developers, participate in shaping development practice and standards in order to help the team deliver high quality work
Core Traits & Experience
- Proficient with C++ and software development methodologies
- Skilled at long-range planning of software systems
- A self-starter with the ability to make progress in the face of ambiguity by gathering data and performing analysis needed to make and justify decisions
- An ability to communicate effectively across disciplines
- Ideally has 4 to 8 years of experience in a software engineering role
Bonus Traits & Experience
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with console game development
- Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, long periods of sitting
- Noise levels are low to moderate in the work environment
- Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
This position reports to the Engineering Manager.
Undead Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
To apply, please send a resume. We look forward to hearing from you!