Mission Support /
Barbaricum is a rapidly growing government contractor providing leading-edge support to federal customers, with a particular focus on Defense and National Security mission sets. We leverage more than 15 years of support to stakeholders across the federal government, with established and growing capabilities across Intelligence, Analytics, Engineering, Mission Support, and Communications disciplines. Founded in 2008, our mission is to transform the way our customers approach constantly changing and complex problem sets by bringing to bear the latest in technology and the highest caliber of talent.
Headquartered in Washington, DC's historic Dupont Circle neighborhood, Barbaricum also has a corporate presence in Tampa, FL, Bedford, IN, and Dayton, OH, with team members across the United States and around the world. As a leader in our space, we partner with firms in the private sector, academic institutions, and industry associations with a goal of continually building our expertise and capabilities for the benefit of our employees and the customers we support. Through all of this, we have built a vibrant corporate culture diverse in expertise and perspectives with a focus on collaboration and innovation. Our teams are at the frontier of the Nation's most complex and rewarding challenges. Join us.
Barbaricum is seeking a Data Engineer to support a Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Crane Division initiative to stand up a hybrid cloud-based System Integration Lab (SIL). This SIL will aggregate, store, and further process ingested vehicle data to increase maintenance availability. This data will then be transmitted to external analytics organizations for predictive analysis. This initiative will support the United States Marine Corps (USMC) Condition Based Maintenance (CBM+) capability, which is a key component of USMC’s strategy to reduce maintenance workloads, costs, and downtime, improve supply chain visibility and management and overall military readiness, and sustain lethality.
In order to realize the CBM+ capability, data will be collected from USMC ground vehicles transmitted through electronic means so it can be aggregated, stored, and further processed and analyzed using diagnostic, reliability, predictive trend, prognostic, and condition monitoring analysis. This analysis will be leveraged to reevaluate maintenance strategies, capture demand, conductive preemptive maintenance, and create decision support tools.
This position may be performed remotely. Limited travel to government customer site may be requested, but proximity to NSWC-Crane is not required for this role.
- Responsible for establishment and operation of a data pipeline to support transfer of USMC ground vehicle Controller Area Network (CAN bus) data from USMC vehicle fleet to a System Integration Lab (SIL) hybrid cloud environment hosted at NSWC Crane.
- Utilize data engineering tools and generate scripts to enable transformation of raw CAN bus data into processed data ready for ingestion into SIL cloud environment.
- Develop automation processes for ingestion of processed data into SIL cloud environment and export of data to external predictive analytics organizations.
- Identify methods to improve data collection, data integrity, data security, analysis, validation, scalability, and reporting.
- Design and implement data solutions using industry best practices.
- Maintain and monitor data pipelines to ensure high service availability.
- Work with Data Scientists to understand analysis needs and mathematical models and optimize data solutions accordingly.
- Active DoD Secret clearance required
- Experience writing re-usable code in R, Python, Java, Scala, SQL, or other languages
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science or Information Systems
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience working in a data engineering / data scientist role
- Experience designing, managing, and developing Artificial Intelligence (AI) and/or Machine Learning (ML) data models spanning multiple disparate sources
- Demonstrated experience with DOD data systems (Qlik, Databricks, AWS SageMaker)
- Demonstrated experience with relational databases (e.g., Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL)
- Demonstrated experience with NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB, InFluxDB, Redis)
- Demonstrated knowledge of extract, transform, and load (ETL) best practices in an enterprise environment
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices (Agile principles, code standards, code reviews, source code management, build processes, testing, and operations)
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals in both technical and leadership roles
- Familiarity in ASAM MDF (Measurement Data Format), NASA Common Data format (CDF), and Army Bulk CBM+ Data (ABCD) formats for logging of CAN Bus data
- Knowledge of Controller Area Network (CAN bus) standards including: ISO 11898 / SAE J1939 / SAE 1587 / SAE J1708
- Current or previous work experience supporting USMC or other Navy customers would be a plus
- Demonstrated experience working with data logging devices to capture CAN bus data from heavy-duty vehicles
- CompTIA Security+ Certification or other DoD 8570 IAT II-level certification strongly preferred prior to start date
For more information about Barbaricum, please visit our website at www.barbaricum.com. We will contact candidates directly to schedule interviews. No phone calls please.