User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX) Designer - Department of Defense
Washington, DC /
Cyber / Intelligence /
Contingent on Contract Award
Barbaricum supports government clients with Integrated Communications, Mission Support, and Cyber Security/Intelligence. Our passion is innovation and we are committed to client value and effective technical solutions. We are an ISO 9001:2015-certified and CMMI Level 3 appraised, Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) located in Washington, DC. Our mission is to transform the ways the U.S. Government approaches problem sets of increasing complexity by delivering innovative solutions, particularly in support of National Security missions.
Barbaricum is one of the fastest-growing companies in our market. The company is routinely recognized by institutions like Inc. Magazine, GovCon, AMEC, PRSA, and SmartCEO for corporate growth, capabilities, and award-winning client work. Our team is dynamic and agile, providing global support to current missions across five continents. We are also focused on developing and maintaining our vibrant corporate culture, having been recently named one of the best places to work by Inc. Magazine.
Barbaricum is seeking an experienced UI/UX Designer to provide support to the DoD's Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC), which is focused on the direction, synchronization and modernization of Artificial Intelligence across the DoD enterprise. This individual will provide subject matter expertise to support to the following: Development of strategies to reduce technology and non-technology barriers to AI adoption; Ensuring relevant missions are operating consistently to identify and exploit modernization opportunities; Coordination of information flow across the Directorate and with other relevant Directorates; Management of taskers and monitoring of performance measures; Elucidation of use cases for AI; and delivering sustainable, useful, and reliable AI products.
- Works with mission teams to engage with potential customers within the DOD and identifies and evaluates prospective projects.
- Applies the principles, methods and techniques of user-based design with an in-depth knowledge of complex computer-based systems to support capabilities that include development of artificial intelligence solutions.
- Gathers and formalizes requirements for the Mission Initiatives (MI) from participating services and agencies that will transform capability needs into requirements that are detailed, actionable, testable, and support the definition of discrete work tasks.
- Works with end-users to build and analyze user stories to identify common users’, system, software and interface requirements for capability design and development.
- Works closely with Data Engineers and MI performers to create and manage a Requirements Traceability Matrix and an Intended Use Statement.
- Identifies end user processes, software and other mission issues that could be improved using AI.
- Captures and formulates final articulation of user needs that will define the broader user experience by gathering and incorporating end-user feedback from user interviews, usability tests, surveys, data analysis, and similar methods.
- Translates/transforms user research information into actionable user interface requirements and workflows.
- Designs and prototypes specific AI or ML solutions. Understands user needs, behaviors, and motivations. Through empathizing with the user, the analyst can inform design decisions and advocate for the user.
- Works closely with Mission and Capability Delivery teams to help determine product goals.
- Supports technical activities of the end users identifying mission goals, desired metrics, data standards and user workflows.
- Works with National Mission Initiative (NMI) teams to define and prioritize systems requests, define project scope, goals, and deliverables that support end user goals.
- Coordinates research efforts involving voice of the customer, qualitative and usability-oriented customer feedback, and industry trends.
- Produces high quality solutions through hybrid wireframe and visual designs, flow diagrams, storyboards, site maps and prototypes.
- Collaborates with team members on user research, customer testing, and iterative feedback loops.
- Rapidly iterates on design prototypes and working applications that contribute to the design, development, and testing of AI/ML tools and delivery methods.
- Develops mock-up solutions that can be implemented quickly.
- Tests and validates usability by monitoring and reporting metrics, determining potential, leveraging research and analytics to drive product updates and improved user experience.
- Coordinates technical requirements for the capability design, with an emphasis on interface definition with government and commercial stakeholders and organizations to evolve requirements and to establish MOU/MOAs for interfaces with existing external systems.
- Performs work involving new concepts and ideas for achieving particular missions and goals, technological trends, significant advancements in operational and mission requirements.
- Formulates overall design concepts and criteria, explores and evaluates advanced proposals, reviews and assesses the overall progress in the development effort; and coordinates efforts of other representatives who are recognized as technical specialists, as well as, representatives from other government agencies and industry pursuing research and development projects involved with the assignment. Converts overall objectives into development programs and policies for others to use.
- Active DoD Secret clearance required
- Bachelors Degree in human factors, psychology, communications, computer science, visual design, or related field
- 8+ years of relevant work experience (6+ with Masters Degree)
- Experience with usability testing, including preparing test plans and associated wireframes, facilitating test sessions, analyzing data, and reporting and presenting results
- Experience with creating and documenting information design concepts and solutions by various means, including wireframes, prototypes, and task flow diagrams
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, and demonstrate experience and capability to make presentations to and interact with end-users and Flag/SES level in DISA, OSD, JCS and Military Departments/Agencies
- Must have prior experience conducting user interviews, and contextual inquiries.
- Any usability/ UX related certification (e.g. CUA) is a plus
- Must have/provide a UI/UX portfolio for review
For more information about Barbaricum, please visit our website at www.barbaricum.com. We will contact candidates directly to schedule interviews. No phone calls please.