Senior Visual Designer
Pittsburgh, PA /
Design plays an important role in everything we touch – from strategy, process and systems to art, motion and user experiences. It fundamentally enhances the work we put out into the world and leads to more enduring brand interactions.
As a Senior Visual Designer for BarkleyREI, you will employ skill and knowledge in the craft of Design across the digital space to create experiences that are distinctive and memorable. You will be called upon to push the boundaries of typography, color, pattern, imagery, and technology in the service of great ideas, while upholding accessibility and usability. You’ll think in terms of need, purpose, and systems before executions. You’re empathetic, dangerously curious, and you thrive in a collaborative team environment.
The ideal candidate exhibits a discerning eye and impeccable design sensibilities. They understand the specific business case and strategy for every project, and appreciate the value of balancing business need with user need. They are well versed in the principles of Responsive Design and understand that effective and memorable digital experiences occur at the intersection of Visual Design, User Experience, and Content Strategy.
- Work alongside a multi-disciplinary team of Information Architects, UX Designers, Content Managers, Content Strategists, Copywriters & Visual Designers in addition to Client Service, Project Management, Development and Digital Marketing teams to create purposeful digital experiences for our clients.
- Translate client business requirements, user needs, and technical requirements into solutions that are visually enticing, intuitively usable, and emotionally engaging.
- Collaborate with front-end and back-end developers to ensure desired interactions and animations function as intended.
- Support the design of multiple projects in multiple visual styles simultaneously.
- Ability to work autonomously and effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams across the agency to ideate and develop creative concepts for the web, social channels, email and digital advertising campaigns.
- Demonstrate an aptitude for time management, organization, and communication.
- Generate clear ideas, explore conceptual directions, and execute high quality visual project solutions from beginning to end.
- Present the user-interface visually so that information is easy to read, easy to understand and easy to find, while adhering to accessibility standards.
- Oversee and support the creation of documentation, reference materials, and necessary artifacts to guide internal development teams.
- Maintain a current understanding of the latest industry, UX & content trends.
- Clearly and effectively present strategic recommendations to internal teams and clients both in-person and remote as necessary.
- Support the development of consistent internal processes and the standardization of all client facing deliverables and artifacts.
- Support the Associate Design Director on visual design across projects by providing clear direction to junior visual designers and freelance resources when necessary.
- Minimum of eight to ten years of professional experience.Relevant education and experience in the design field.Excellent writing, interpersonal, communication skills, and presentation skills.Comfortable speaking and presenting to various stakeholders internally and externally.
- Experience collaborating with creative copywriters to conceptualize, iterate and formalize high-level ideas into strategic and tangible recommendations.
- Extremely outgoing, personable, and positive attitude toward colleagues and clients. Attitude is everything.
- Strong working knowledge of Atomic Design methodology and creating comprehensive Digital Design Systems and style guides.
- Experience building functional prototypes and communicating intended system behaviors necessary for UI components and patterns.
- Impeccable attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills.
- Solid understanding of Responsive Web Design, various frameworks, content management systems, and the technical constraints associated with each.
- Strong conceptual and brainstorming skills.
- Experience designing accessible products that uphold WCAG standards.
- Ability to pivot quickly from high level strategic thinking to tactical execution.
- Driven to learn new skills, share knowledge and support other teammates.
- Proficient in Sketch, Invision, Adobe Suite, and other relevant design tools.
- Working understanding of HTML5 and CSS3.
- Driven to learn new skills and share knowledge with other teammates.
- Strong portfolio of work that demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of digital design, and how you have successfully implemented it for clients. (Approach, Methodology & Processes)
- Experience with Design Thinking Methodology
- Experience working with Higher Education Clients
Barkley’s Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
- We believe being radically diverse and inclusive is the key to becoming one of the world’s great creative idea companies. By embracing everything that makes our partners who they are and what makes them unique to the world around them, we create the conditions and capacity to help creative, original thinking thrive.
- Barkley is committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging as part of our corporate strategic goals, supported by a formal DEI+B program, Employee Resource Groups, Director of Diversity leadership and agency commitment to The Brand Lab.