Senior Full Stack Engineer (Toronto Hub - Hybrid)
Compensation accounts for up to 70% of an organization’s total operating costs, yet the processes and tools used to determine who gets paid what, why, and how is still painfully convoluted and manual. How is this possible? Believe it or not, most companies are still using a dizzying amount of spreadsheets that ultimately leaves leadership guessing and the employees puzzled or worse yet, unfairly compensated.
Barley is a venture-backed startup focused on building solutions for a vast array of compensation challenges (from managing salary bands to conducting pay equity analysis). With Barley’s Compensation Management platform, our goal is to empower organizations to make better pay decisions.
Hybrid Across Two Hiring Hubs: Barley is a remote-first company that supports a flexible approach to work. Our team is co-located across two hiring hubs (Toronto and Vancouver and up to 200kms away from either). While we all predominately work remotely (i.e. work from home), we offer dedicated offices in both Toronto and Vancouver so that our team can collaborate and come together in-person, as desired.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Rapidly solving technical challenges and building features as we work towards launching the initial version of the Barley platform
- Collaborating closely with engineering, product, and design team members in an agile environment (strong understanding of Scrum/Kanban)
- Building with a strong orientation towards data schemas, analytics, and database design
- Developing and managing integrations & APIs
- Taking initiative to understand “the why” of what you’re building, the business context, and user problems to propose improvements, eliminate gaps, and reduce risk
- Choosing between taking quick shortcuts to find product/market fit vs. build deeper scalable product in the early days of a startup
- Implementing product with strong security and data privacy top of mind
Experience & Skills You'll Bring to the Team
- Professional experience shipping cloud-based software products to market
- Building microservices, in a multi-tenant SaaS environment, using Node.js, GraphQL, Hasura, PostgreSQL
- Experience with schema design, advanced SQL queries and relational databases such as PostgreSQL
- Experience with cloud and serverless infrastructure (GCP, AWS or Azure)
- Relentless curiosity to learn new things and receptive to feedback
- Hands-on experience with microservices, containerization (Docker), and CI/CD (Github Actions) is a PLUS
- Developing monitoring and observability strategies a PLUS
- University degree in Computer Engineering/Science, or equivalent is a PLUS
- Having experience building a product from the ground up and have launched new products to market is a PLUS
- Experience in business-to-business (B2B) SaaS software is a PLUS
- Haven’t worked with some of our specific technologies? No problem, a deep experience with web technologies and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way
Why You’ll Love Working at Barley
- As an early member of the Barley team, you’ll play a key role in setting the stage for future employees
- You’ll help push forward an important mission of driving more rational and equitable pay
- You’ll have a piece of the pie - every Barley employee participates in our stock option plan
- A generous vacation policy and full health and benefits coverage that kick in on your first day
- An annual learning and development allowance to invest in your professional growth
- We're a remote-first company, but also have offices in Toronto and Vancouver for the option to collaborate in-person
- We host fun company-sponsored events (e.g. team dinners) as well as multi-day off sites (like our retreats which have been cabins in Whistler, BC and Ontario lake country)
Our Interview Process
- Stage 1: Screening Interview: This is a 45 minute Zoom meeting where we'll share more about the role, learn about your background / experience (and alignment to the position), and answer any questions you may have
- Stage 2: Skills Interview: This is an hour and a half Zoom meeting that consists of a live coding exercise, a system design exercise as well as technical questions to assess your experience.
- Stage 3: Case Interview & Meet the Founders Interview: This is a 2 hour Zoom meeting that consists of a logic exercise related to our space and discussing your experience and major accomplishments with one of the co-founders.
At Barley, we believe that more transparent compensation practices support more equitable pay for all. Depending on your experience/seniority, this role's compensation is:
💵 Base Salary: $130,000 - $175,000
📈 Stock Options: 0.1% - 0.3%
Barley is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to building an equitable workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We actively encourage candidates from all backgrounds to consider us as a potential employer. If you require any accommodation at any point during our virtual interview process, please email us at email@example.com.