Lead Product Designer (Vancouver Hub - Remote)
Vancouver, British Columbia /
Compensation accounts for up to 70% of an organization’s total operating costs, yet the processes and tools used to determine who gets paid what, why, and how is still painfully convoluted and manual. How is this possible? Believe it or not, most companies are still using a dizzying amount of spreadsheets that ultimately leaves leadership guessing and the employees puzzled or worse yet, unfairly compensated.
Barley is a venture-backed startup focused on building solutions for a vast array of compensation challenges (from managing salary bands to conducting pay equity analysis). With Barley’s Compensation Management platform, our goal is to empower organizations to make better pay decisions.
Remote-First Across Two Hiring Hubs: Barley is a remote-first company that supports a flexible approach to work. Our team is co-located across two hiring hubs (Toronto and Vancouver). While we all predominately work remotely (i.e. work from home) , we offer dedicated offices in both Toronto and Vancouver so that our team can collaborate and come together in-person, as desired.
About the Role
As Lead Product Designer, you will represent a core pillar of our Engineering, Product, and Design (EPD) team! Reporting to and working directly with one of Barley’s Co-founders/Chief Product Officer, you will take ownership of the end-to-end design process at Barley. You will lean into user research, build out user flow diagrams, wireframe, prototype, and build high-fidelity designs (and more!) The right candidate is able to synthesize complex business processes around compensation and develop thoughtful designs that will delight our end users.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Own the end-to-end solution design process; you will take a user problem from research, to wireframes, to hi-fi designs, to ensuring that designs are implemented to meet the user needs in the Barley platform
- Partner with product, engineering, and other stakeholders to define, craft, and implement product design concepts
- Study and solve complex user problems by exploring a wide breadth of ideas and converging on solutions using a blend of user research and interviews, product data and analytics, peer feedback, and professional intuition
- Set up the engineering team for success (and speed) where applicable through using reusable components and building out Barley’s design system
- Leverage product usage data and analytics to inform future design decisions including performance of current designs and opportunities for improvement
- Design and implement in-app user guides and walkthroughs to drive user engagement
Experience & Skills You'll Bring to the Team
- 5-8 years of product design experience creating B2B SaaS products
- You are a systemic thinker that can translate complex problems and processes into simple and intuitive experiences
- You are a strong communicator; you can clearly articulate complex concepts and share the ‘why’ behind your design decisions
- You have expert knowledge of the end-to-end design process; you can develop and leverage UX research (including interviews), user flow diagrams, journey mapping, wire-framing, prototyping, usability testing, and high-fidelity visuals to achieve user-centred design solutions
- Understands and executes the responsibilities of Service Design, the company centric tools and actions that need to take place to make the UX design a reality.
- You have experience with modern interface design software (Figma or similar) to develop wireframes, designs, and workflows that can be prototyped and quickly tested
- You have experience working with and developing a design system and component libraries; you love creating modular and smart interfaces that drive consistency and can be leveraged by engineering teams for speed
- You are comfortable with different software development platforms and tools such as JIRA
Why You’ll Love Working at Barley!
- As an early member of the Barley team, you’ll play a key role in setting the stage for future employees
- You’ll help push forward an important mission of driving more rational and equitable pay
- You’ll have a piece of the pie - every Barley employee participates in our stock option plan
- A generous vacation policy and full health and benefits coverage that kick in on your first day
- An annual learning and development allowance to invest in your professional growth
- You'll be equipped with a MacBook, monitor, and accessories (plus a Workspace Allowance)
- We're a remote-first company, but also have offices in Toronto and Vancouver for the option to collaborate in-person
- We host fun company-sponsored events (e.g. team dinners) as well as multi-day off sites (like our annual retreat that was last hosted in Whistler, BC)
At Barley, we believe that more transparent compensation practices support more equitable pay for all. Depending on your experience/seniority, this role's compensation is:
💵 Base Salary: $135,000 - $175,000
📈 Stock Options: 0.1% - 0.4%
Barley is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to building an equitable workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We actively encourage candidates from all backgrounds to consider us as a potential employer. If you require any accommodation at any point during our virtual interview process, please email us at email@example.com.