Data Engineer (Remote or NYC)
New York, NY /
We’re building America’s small business marketplace. Baton is supercharged by data to support business owners and potential buyers through the historically opaque and illiquid $11 trillion small business acquisition market. To start, we’re unlocking data-driven business valuations for every small business, and collecting first-party financial data to power refined valuations - ultimately becoming the Zillow for small business acquisitions. Baton is backed by Giant Ventures, Bloomberg Beta, and a syndicate of world-class angel investors.
About the Role
As a Data Engineer at Baton, you’ll partner closely with our Co-Founders and Head of Engineering to develop robust data systems to power Baton’s small business marketplace. You’ll play a critical role in defining and bringing our product and engineering culture to life.
In the short term, you’ll define and implement the first iteration of Baton’s data pipeline and infrastructure to power our Minimum Lovable Product. In the long run, the work you accomplish will play a pivotal role in delivering value and trust to small business owners and potential buyers across this vast marketplace.
On a day-to-day basis, you will..
- Partner closely with our co-founders and Head of Engineering to scope, plan and build the first iteration of Baton’s data architecture
- Build and maintain Baton’s data warehouse (ETL pipelines, data monitoring, and orchestration tools) that power Baton’s growing data ecosystem
- Evaluate data providers and services to extend Baton’s data systems
- Help set developments standards and process for the data team
- Assist in evaluating potential engineering hires
- You have demonstrated experience (likely 3+ years) working within agile software development teams
- You have experience designing and implementing data warehouses and ETL architectures, preferably in Python
- You are able to propose clear data modeling designs from ambiguous problems
- You have experience with containerization (Docker), infrastructure-as-code (Terraform) and AWS infrastructure (S3, ECS, RDS)
- You have experience with data orchestration tools like Airflow (Bonus points if you have used Prefect in a previous role)
- You have a product mindset, and have a track record of building strong partnerships with product managers and engineers
- You happily balance the high-level and low-level work; you wear many hats and are hands-on where needed to get things done
- You are passionate about helping people become successful small business owners and get paid for their life’s work
- Work from anywhere (including our office in Kips Bay NYC)
- 100% employer-paid healthcare options
- Meaningful pay, equity, and 401K option
- Unlimited PTO and 10 mandatory vacation days
- On-demand mental health support from Spill
- Team offsites
- Apple laptop of your choice
- Parental leave program
- The opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the lives of small business owners and their communities
If this sounds like you, we love to hear from you!