Senior Data Scientist
At Bazaarvoice, we create smart shopping experiences. Through our expansive global network, product-passionate community & enterprise technology, we connect thousands of brands and retailers with billions of consumers. Our solutions enable brands to connect with consumers and collect valuable user-generated content, at an unprecedented scale. This content achieves global reach by leveraging our extensive and ever-expanding retail, social & search syndication network. And we make it easy for brands & retailers to gain valuable business insights from real-time consumer feedback with intuitive tools and dashboards. The result is smarter shopping: loyal customers, increased sales, and improved products.
The problem we are trying to solve : Brands and retailers struggle to make real connections with consumers. It's a challenge to deliver trustworthy and inspiring content in the moments that matter most during the discovery and purchase cycle. The result? Time and money spent on content that doesn't attract new consumers, convert them, or earn their long-term loyalty.
Our brand promise : closing the gap between brands and consumers.
Founded in 2005, Bazaarvoice is headquartered in Austin, Texas with offices in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. For more information, visit www.bazaarvoice.com.
As part of the evolution of the R&D team in Belfast we are now growing a team of Bazaarvoice Engineers to work on the content generating Influenster community. Working closely with other teams in Belfast you will contribute greatly to the long term success of what is a huge growth area for the company as we make investments across the board now to hit those longer term growth goals.
What you’ll be doing:
Work with stakeholders throughout the company to identify opportunities for leveraging data to drive product and business solutions.
- Use predictive modeling (recommendation engine) to increase and optimize customer experiences, content generation and consumption.
- Analyze data to drive optimization and improvement of product development, user acquisition and business initiatives.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop A/B testing framework and test effectiveness of developed solutions and models.
- Coordinate with engineering and product team to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Develop processes and tools to ensure data accuracy.
Who you are:
- At least five years of experience as a data scientist.
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- Experience using Python and its related libraries (NumPy, SciPy etc.).
- Experience querying large datasets (relational or non-relational) efficiently with popular languages (SQL, Python, R etc.) to draw insights.
- Experience with creating efficient and forward-looking data structures and architectures.
- Knowledge of a widely used machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning etc.) and their real-world applications.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical methods (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and practical applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Nice to have:
- Hands-on experience with building a recommendation engine.
- Experience AWS environment and its data and machine learning solutions (Redshift, DynamoDB, Rekognition, Personalize, SageMaker, Neptune etc.)
- Experience with other languages: C, C++, Java.
- Experience with e-commerce data (product, review, user etc.)
Why join Bazaarvoice?
- We’re committed to client success: There are over 6,200 brand and retail websites in the Bazaarvoice network. Our clients represent some of the world’s leading companies across a wide range of industries including retail, apparel, automotive, consumer electronics and travel.
- We’re leaders in consumer-generated content: Each month, more than one billion consumers view and share authentic consumer-generated content, such as ratings and reviews, curated photos, social posts and videos, about products in our network. Thousands upon thousands or reviews are added to the Bazaarvoice network everyday.
- Our network delivers: Network analytics provide insights that help marketers and advertisers provide more engaging experiences that drive brand awareness, consideration, sales, and loyalty.
- We’re a great place to work: We pride ourselves on our unique culture. Join a company that values passion, innovation, authenticity, generosity, respect, teamwork, and performance.
Our Employee Value Proposition:
BV’s Impact on the Market:
We are shaping the way people shop, putting the shopper experience at the heart of everything we do. We partner with the worlds largest brands and our network’s impact is comparable to Facebook, LinkedIn and Google. If you shop or research online, it’s very likely that you’ve already interacted with Bazaarvoice. With market leading technology, shopper data that spans over a million shoppers and a billion shopper interactions a month, our future is limitless.
What this means in R&D:
Working on something real that people use on a daily basis in an environment that celebrates engineering, has been and continues to be a key factor in the success of Bazaarvoice. There are very few opportunities in the market that allow you be part of a company that delivers products that are used by millions of people everyday.
Professional Learning, Growth and Impact:
You can grow your career, your skills and professional experiences by working across a breadth of business initiatives, different global regions and innovative solutions. You have the opportunity to see tangible results from your direct contributions and build your own brand at Bazaarvoice. With new products and markets on the horizon, there has never been a more exciting time to be at Bazaarvoice.
What this means in R&D:
It is clear that managers want what’s best for both the company and people. Here in Bazaarvoice there is a wealth of knowledge among the teams that is shared in a collaborative, productive way. Getting to work at our scale with the level of autonomy given, is rare. You are encouraged regularly to be the best version of your professional self at work. You are in charge of your own learning, but given the space and time to own it completely. We don’t just say it- we mean it!
You will work with and help recruit bright, experienced, passionate and humble colleagues that bring diverse perspectives on a daily basis. We are open minded, respectful and transparent.
What this means in R&D:
There are no ego’s here in R&D. You are surrounded by smart people who build world class software but who never forget to have fun whilst they do it. Working in an environment where you work together to share knowledge and skills is vital in helping you within your career as an engineer. Both colleagues and managers don’t just give support, but focus on listening.
You will be part of a vibrant culture where we celebrate, we collaborate and we come together generously to elevate one another & our community. We promote open dialogue at all levels and are generous with our time and ideas.
What this means in R&D:
In R&D, we don’t look for a culture ‘fit’ but for a culture add! The atmosphere, not only among teammates, but across the wider engineering department (and beyond!) makes coming to work a pleasure. Working as part of engineering, you are guaranteed to work with bright, smart people who will always have something else to bring to the table.
Commitment to diversity and inclusion
Bazaarvoice provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all team members and applicants according to their experience, talent, and qualifications for the job without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex (including pregnancy, gender stereotyping, and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military/veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law in every location in which the company has facilities. Bazaarvoice believes that diversity and an inclusive company culture are key drivers of creativity, innovation and performance. Furthermore, a diverse workforce and the maintenance of an atmosphere that welcomes versatile perspectives will enhance our ability to fulfill our vision of creating the world’s smartest network of consumers, brands, and retailers.