Global Finance Director
America – Venture Operations
BCG Digital Ventures is a global team of the world’s most remarkable entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, venture architects, productexperts and investors. Our ventures createa strategic advantage fo rthe mos timportant global companies as they leverage the power of technology with the audacity and speed of start-ups. To be fit for and shape the future, we utilize cutting-edge technologies and practices to support our collaboration, our ideation and our innovations.
BCG DV was established in Los Angeles beginning of 2014 and now has over 500 entrepreneurs on our team in Manhattan Beach, New York, Sydney, Berlin, London, Tokyo, Shanghai, Seattle and Silicon Valley. This is very much a start up situation within the BCG world.
This is a ground-floor opportunity to be a key member of a fast-growing, global business as we build a sustainable market leading offering for our corporate partners.
We are looking for a driven and business-oriented Controller to join our growing team and help direct financial activities as our business continues to grow. To be successful in this role you’ll have to build and lead a team, work well cross-functionally, be resourceful, capable of adapting to an ever-changing work environment, and have a high sense of ownership.
The responsibilities will focus on global finance operations, including controllership, financial planning, analysis and reporting, investment analysis and risk management. In addition, the leader will coordinate relevant shared services with the appropriate BCG geography controller/finance teams, and ensure the infrastructure and controls are appropriate to support the business needs.
This individual will be an integrated member of the global finance function and work closely together with the finance partners, the global experts and the Global Finance Operations team and Alternate Business directors, participating in global/regional initiatives and incorporating our global goals into the local goals and objectives, where appropriate.
The role requires a strong business partner to the leadership of Digital Ventures; and people manager who can provide leadership, direction and development support to the DV finance team and be a mentor and coach.
- Business partner to leadership
- Effectively partner with the DV CFO, DV COO and DV partner group in all locations and the global finance function to provide input into key areas of the business
- Provide insight to support timely business decisions, identify potential options and support the execution of initiatives
- Be a business partner to the local leadership team anticipating and addressing needs for management reporting and analysis
- Continuously monitor performance of all functions seeking out opportunities for improvement and implement best practices, as appropriate
- Develop, support and control function budgets (i.e. monitoring purchasing requirements, point of contact for vendors, etc.) for all locations
- Planning, Reporting and Analysis
- Work with CFO and COO to articulate long-term financial goals and targets and prepare the annual plan, Long Range Plans and regular re-estimates
- Be proactive in determining the impact of variances on the annual plan and recommending remedial actions
- Ensure the finance team provides timely and meaningful financial reporting; provide ad hoc information and analysis as required
- Work closely with the CFO and COO to track and monitor capacity, clients, revenues and costs, continuously identifying and implementing programs for managing capacity mix, pyramid, pricing and compensation and 'other costs' and profit improvement measures.
- Communication, including financial results, key financial metrics, management reporting and variance analysis and Global organization, as appropriate
- Responsible for oversight of the CAPEX budgets, working closely with global Real Estate team and IT Team as appropriate
- Finance Operations
- Work with other functions to provide guidance as it relates to financial matters
- Provide weekly reports and analysis to CFO of ongoing business activities – billability, pricing, revenues and costs
- Develop holistic financial plan for build outs, acquisitions and integration and work plan for the finance team and finance requirements for operations
- Engage appropriate stakeholders for new market openings, develop and maintain work plan and communicate status updates to leadership
- Ensure controls and processes and support to the new team are in place post opening
- Coordinate with BCG Global Business Systems to enable integrated and automated reporting capabilities; support design and development of improved DV reporting tools
- Investment Analysis
- Analyze and manage financial due diligence process for investment proposals
- Work with tax, finance, local advisors and Global experts Monitor investment portfolio
- Accounting and Administrative Processes
- Work closely withthe finance team, shared service finance team and external advisors to ensure compliance to statutory requirements. Establish a close network for information, exchange etc in all locations where have employees.
- Supervise the local finance team with the BCG shared services team to ensure that local practices comply with BCG policies and local requirements, including accounting functions (i.e. billing, payroll, tax, etc.)
- Implement best practices in client contracting, billings and collections
- Continuously seeking to ensure local business processes to obtain efficiencies, manage costs, and maintain infrastructure necessary to support office growth
- As appropriate team, with the local BCG controller to manage the local audit and local PWC relationship, as appropriate
- Team with payroll shared services provided by BCG to ensure appropriate controls and processes for new hires, terminations, transfers, senior advisor arrangements including consultant and technical/creative team compensation structure analysis, as necessary
- Risk Management, working with the functions
- Work closely with the COO and CFO to identify and mitigate risks for the Internal Functionsfunctions (i.e. IT, Operations)
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, ensure preparation of official documents and filings required by local laws
- Assist CFO in client negotiations and contracting directly or through teaming with appropriate experts, ensuring enforcement and adaptation of world-wide contracting policies
- Monitor cross border activity and address related tax and legal issues and oversight of activities to proactively flag potential issues
- Ensure active involvement in all new business approaches regarding billing , go to market, collection, subcontracting, etc to establish clear, compliant and global guidelines while the business is getting established
- Strengthen Global BCG Relationships
- Incorporate global goals into local goals and objectives
- Team with GFOT international controller
- Lead and/or support global/regional initiatives
- Strive to make finance system best-practice on finance matters
- Leadership and People Development
- Ensure a talented and cohesive finance team
- Optimize the finance support model (where appropriate) and evolve the operating model to support continued growth; support Partner group initiatives to evolve support model, as needed
- Lead, coach and develop the finance team
- Define objectives, identify and coach local team to improve on development areas
- Certified Public Accounting with significant experience working in a Finance function of a multinational firm, including international and complex business analysis or Financial controller experience including experience in general accounting, planning and analysis, tax and treasury, financial systems, financial reporting, preferably with exposure to both the management of these processes and hands on involvement
- Experience working for a professional service firm and/or within a partnership governance structure
- Operated at a senior level for at least 5 years
- Familiarity with working in an international environment, local statutory requirements, US financial reporting and GAAP requirements
- University degree plus accounting qualifications or equivalent 12+ years of experience
- Hands-on experience with general ledger systems, budgets and financial planning and analysis processes
- Strong analytical skills, structured and accurate
- Flexibility to work in an environment that has short-term shifts in priorities to meet a diverse customer base
- Leadership skills, good team player, motivator, and willing to be part of a virtual global finance function
- Willingness to provide a wide range of financial services from routine tasks to intricate financial management data
- Ability to take initiative and to think “out of the box” to bring creative solutions to issues
- Solid business partner with the ability to dialogue, communicate at all levels of the organization
- Fluency in English
- Individual must demonstrate leadership qualities and be willing to take a hands on approach and excel in a large company culture while functioning in a small team
- Advanced technical skills with proficiency in desktop applications, financial systems and general ledger. Extensive use of Windows and the following software applications:
- Must be able to perform successfully in a fast-paced, intellectually intense, service-oriented environment and to interpret rules and guidelines flexibly to enhance the business and in keeping with BCG’s values and culture.
- Experience working successfully within a complex matrix structured organization is essential.
- Ability to navigate complex reporting relationships
– PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
– Oracle or other large financial systems environment
To learn more, visit us at careers.bcgdv.com/learn-more
Interested applicants may apply through the careers section of the website at BCGDV.com. Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
BCG DIGITAL VENTURES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, AGE, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, PROTECTED VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC PROTECTED UNDER FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL LAW.