Senior User Experience Researcher
Beam Dental was founded in 2012 by three engineers who saw the opportunity to modernize the dental insurance industry using technology. The first product was the Beam Brush, which was one of the earliest examples of the Internet of Things in healthcare. Today, Beam Dental is the fastest growing provider of dental benefits in the country and is available in over 40 states around the US. Beam’s product focuses on ease of use, tailored pricing, and a unique commitment to preventative care by incorporating dental hygiene behavior into policy pricing.
Joining Beam Dental Means
• Working for a complex and dynamic business, simultaneously operating across insurance, CPG manufacturing, IOT, and dental services
• Being challenged to improve every day by a diverse and diversely skilled team
• Engaging in an active, intense, and fun work environment
• Being a decision maker and ‘owner’ of your subject matter
• Joining in our mission to forever change the way people access dental services
• Being a person of high character, high EQ, and amazing talent
Beam is committed to being a customer-first company. To do this, we are looking for a Senior User Experience Researcher to grow our research capacity. As a Senior UX Researcher at Beam, you will be a vocal advocate for the users and stakeholders that are essential to our business. Your work will yield insights that drive decisions in design, product management, and engineering by building empathy with users. You will drive largely qualitative research projects from start to finish, owning the process but involving stakeholders at every turn. Since Beam works at the intersection of insurance and tech, you will work on a wide array of projects essential to the business, including our mobile app and connected toothbrush, but also including new initiatives to provide a great experience for our brokers, clients, members, and providers.
What You Will Bring:
You are an experienced, qualitatively-focused researcher who is passionate about eliciting stories that drive change. You are an expert listener, with a great grasp of the tools and techniques that capture insight. You’re ready to adapt to the rapidly-changing research needs of the business and possess an innovator’s spirit, maintaining a constant curiosity about unmet needs and new possibilities.
What you will do:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, designers, and other stakeholders to define research questions and advise on the best method to answer them
- Lead sessions with users, including interviews, co-design sessions, and usability tests
- Head collaborative efforts to analyze qualitative data using a variety of methods, including coding interview transcripts
- Formulate memorable, engaging insights and recommendations that inform product direction and roadmap
- Develop and execute strategies for company-wide engagement with research findings, such as workshops, read-outs, and dissemination of insights
- Provide regular feedback and mentorship to more junior researchers and anyone within the org undertaking research work
- Guide formulation and implementation of standardized practices across a growing research organization
What skills will help you be successful:
- 4+ years experience leading research projects in industry from start to finish, from drafting of research plan and script through analysis and presentation of findings
- Strong grasp of qualitative research methods, with the ability to advocate for rigorous research throughout the org, and advise junior researchers, PMs, and designers on best practices
- Familiarity with an array of strategies to engage stakeholders in research process and findings, including workshop facilitation
- Demonstrated grasp of best practices in survey design, with multiple examples of successful surveys
- A history of successful collaboration with Product Managers, including a solid understanding of how PMs work
- High degree of comfort and facility working with a variety of users and stakeholders, including essential business partners
- Understanding of business requirements, OKRs, and how to incorporate these into research planning
- Experience in qualitative data analysis: pattern recognition, key insights, actionable recommendations
Visa sponsorship or transfer not available for this position.
Beam believes a diverse and inclusive environment is key to building a great company and a great product. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming for people of all backgrounds, and encourage everyone to apply. Beam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.