Beam Dental was founded in 2012 by three engineers who saw the opportunity to modernize the dental insurance industry using technology. The first product was the Beam Brush, which was one of the earliest examples of the Internet of Things in healthcare. Today, Beam Dental is the fastest growing provider of dental benefits in the country and is available in over 40 states around the US. Beam’s product focuses on ease of use, tailored pricing, and a unique commitment to preventative care by incorporating dental hygiene behavior into policy pricing.
Joining Beam Dental Means
• Working for a complex and dynamic business, simultaneously operating across insurance, CPG manufacturing, IOT, and dental services
• Being challenged to improve every day by a diverse and diversely skilled team
• Engaging in an active, intense, and fun work environment
• Being a decision maker and ‘owner’ of your subject matter
• Joining in our mission to forever change the way people access dental services
• Being a person of high character, high EQ, and amazing talent
Beam is looking for Staff Software Engineers with a passion for driving the architectural direction of the company through collaboration with our product development, platform, and site reliability teams. You will work closely with senior leadership to build early iterations of new technologies and features, development architectural best practices, and collaborate with development teams to maintain those standards on new and existing projects.
What you will bring
You're an experienced engineer with a passion for architecture in service of your users and the cross-team collaboration required to build that architecture. You enjoy finding the right solution for the right job and exhibit the ability to choose the right problem to solve. You’ll drive strategic technical improvements as a mentor, technical lead and occasionally as an individual contributor. You come to work everyday excited to find the best way to balance the short-term and long-term needs of the business and the technology.
What you will do:
- Collaborate closely with senior leadership to set, promote, and execute the organization's architectural roadmap.
- Partner with senior leadership to align the architectural roadmap with the overall product strategy.
- Serve as a technology stakeholder in large cross-functional initiatives.
- Build POCs of new technologies and features to test their viability.
- Consult with internal and external stakeholders during the project discovery process to assess feasibility and lift.
- Work closely with Senior and Lead engineers on how to better guide the technical direction and decision making on their teams.
- Aid development teams in building their domain knowledge and building their process and development practices.
- Mentor and sponsor the technical decisions and growth of our amazing engineers.
What skills will help you be successful:
- 7+ years of experience as a software engineer working on user facing applications.
- 5+ years of experience working with relational databases such as MySQL.
- An excellent understanding of CS fundamentals: data structures, design patterns, etc.
- Willingness to work programming languages outside of our core stack (Ruby on Rails and React).
- Experience building service-oriented architectures and RESTful APIs.
- A passion for well-written, highly tested code.
- Experience with AWS services including EC2, RDS, EKS, S3, or equivalent cloud computing services a large plus.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker is a plus
Visa sponsorship or transfer not available for this position.
Beam believes a diverse and inclusive environment is key to building a great company and a great product. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming for people of all backgrounds, and encourage everyone to apply. Beam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.