Head of Site Reliability Engineering
Beam Dental was founded in 2012 by three engineers who saw the opportunity to make dental services more accessible using technology. The beam brush, which launched the company, was one of the earliest examples of the ‘Internet of Things’, where everyday objects can enable incredible new understanding and capability. Today, Beam Dental has parlayed its industry passion into the fastest growing provider of dental insurance in the US, with a mission to offer businesses best in class dental coverage and close the gap on the over 100 million Americans who don’t have dental insurance today.
Joining Beam Dental Means
• Working for a complex and dynamic business, simultaneously operating across insurance, CPG manufacturing, IOT, and dental services
• Being challenged to improve every day by a diverse and diversely skilled team
• An active, intense, and fun work environment
• Being a decision maker and ‘owner’ of your subject matter
• Joining in our mission to forever change the way people access dental services
• Being a person of high character, high EQ, and amazing talent
Beam is looking for an experienced DevOps leader to build and lead our Site Reliability Engineering organization. This team's mandate is to write software to automate the operations of our Engineering organization and to establish and own Service Level Objectives that lead to an increase in the structural quality of our software and the reliability of our applications. This role will be crucial to the success of Beam's Engineering efforts.
What you will bring:
You’re an experienced player/coach who believes strongly in shared ownership of infrastructure and related tooling. You're just as comfortable digging in to solve problems as you are with mentoring others. You have worked closely with engineers to design, build, and support service-oriented architectures. You believe in spreading DevOps knowledge throughout the engineering organization, by focusing on building tools and process that enable development teams to own their infrastructure and breakdown typical DevOps silos. You have a strong background in writing infrastructure as code, and a strong desire to automate processes.
What you will do:
- Integrate and promote SRE/DevOps practices within our development workflow.
- Identify and nurture great talent that can execute on your initiatives.
- Establish, measure, and own Service Level Objectives across our application infrastructure.
- Work with engineers to design scalable systems that keep pace with Beam’s rapid growth.
- Build and maintain tooling for managing production and testing environments.
- Develop documentation and training to onboard and level-up the DevOps knowledge within the organization.
- Work closely with Software Engineers to shape the direction of our infrastructure and tooling and position us well for future innovation and development.
What technical skills will help you be successful:
- 5+ years of experience as a DevOps or Site Reliability Engineer
- 2-3 years of experience with configuration management software, preferably Ansible.
- 2-3 years of experience building infrastructure solutions in AWS.
- 2-3 years of experience using Terraform or a similar tool to provision cloud infrastructure.
- 1+ years as a Team Lead or Manager, including conducting 1:1s and managing performance and career progression of direct reports.
- Strong practical knowledge of Docker, container registries, and container orchestration technologies.
- Experience with continuous delivery and deploy automation.
- Knowledge and experience applying security best practices for cloud-based infrastructure.
Visa sponsorship or transfer not available for this position.
Beam believes a diverse and inclusive environment is key to building a great company and a great product. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming for people of all backgrounds, and encourage everyone to apply. Beam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.