VP of Information Security
Beam Dental was founded in 2012 by three engineers who saw the opportunity to modernize the dental insurance industry using technology. The first product was the Beam Brush, which was one of the earliest examples of the Internet of Things in healthcare. Today, Beam Dental is the fastest growing provider of dental benefits in the country and is available in over 40 states around the US. Beam’s product focuses on ease of use, tailored pricing, and a unique commitment to preventative care by incorporating dental hygiene behavior into policy pricing.
Joining Beam Dental Means
• Working for a complex and dynamic business, simultaneously operating across insurance, CPG manufacturing, IOT, and dental services
• Being challenged to improve every day by a diverse and diversely skilled team
• Engaging in an active, intense, and fun work environment
• Being a decision maker and ‘owner’ of your subject matter
• Joining in our mission to forever change the way people access dental services
• Being a person of high character, high EQ, and amazing talent
Beam is looking for an experienced VP of Information Security with a passion for building and nurturing highly-effective, self-sufficient leaders and teams. As VP of Information Security, you will manage Beam’s Information Technology and Application Security organizations. Our IT team collaborates closely with Risk and Compliance to build maturity around regulatory and compliance practices, IT security procedures, and employee training and awareness programs. This role will also develop our Application Security function to partner with our Platform and Site Reliability teams to build out cloud and application security procedures and software. This role reports to the CTO and will be a close partner with leaders across Beam.
What You Will Bring:
You are an entrepreneurial thinker who is equally comfortable digging in to solve problems and dealing with ambiguity. You are a collaborator, have strong opinions, are willing to fail, learn, and thrive in a feedback-driven culture. You have a passion for bringing diverse business areas together to deliver successful releases of high-impact reporting and insights. You are excited by the idea of working closely with the company leadership, internal and external customers, and the organization as a whole to set and deliver on a shared strategic vision.
What You Will Do:
- Build Beam’s Application Security Engineering function to secure the data warehouse/analytics ETL pipelines and production infrastructure.
- Conduct regular third-party independent audits of our information security and ensure any resulting actions to address gaps or weaknesses are appropriately assigned and completed promptly to maintain information security.
- Manage our response to security incidents and ensure that they are appropriately addressed, documented, and reported.
- Complete and deliver regular information security reports and assessments as are required by regulatory agencies and our customers.
- Prepare and report on our information security posture and status to Senior Management.
- Actively mentor current and future leaders and individual contributors in your group through effective 1:1s, thoughtful feedback, career growth planning, and performance reviews.
- Drive and influence software and infrastructure security across the organization.
- Own compensation, team design, hiring, and retention plan for your group.
What skills will help you be successful:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Computer Science, or other related field or equivalent experience.
- Security certifications: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, GSEC, CISA, or ability to be certified.
- 7+ years of experience in a combination of risk management, information security, and application security engineering roles.
- 1-3 years in a senior leadership role in security.
- Demonstrated experience with Application Security, DevOps, or Cloud Security functions as a leader or in a people management role.
- Experience with cloud computing technologies, especially AWS (Amazon Web Services), with security commitments to customers and partners.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legal and regulatory requirements, such as HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) and Payment Card Industry/Data Security Standard Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Service Organization Control (SOC), and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate security and risk-related concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
Visa sponsorship or transfer not available for this position.
Beam believes a diverse and inclusive environment is key to building a great company and a great product. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming for people of all backgrounds, and encourage everyone to apply. Beam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.