Mechanical Solutions Engineer, Building Systems
Los Angeles, California
Business Operations – Commercial Operations /
We know that the earth beneath our feet holds extraordinary, untapped capacity to accelerate the clean energy transition. Bedrock Energy is on a mission to transform the heating and cooling of buildings, using carbon-free, hyper-efficient, and ultra-safe geothermal energy to radically reduce costs for people and the environment.
Incorporated in 2022, Bedrock recently raised a $8.5M seed round from leading investors and is gathering exceptional talent to scale geothermal energy to decarbonize buildings everywhere. We’re seeking creative, collaborative, proactive team members who inspire us with their high standards of excellence, integrity, and commitment to our shared mission.
As an early member of Bedrock’s Commercial Operations team, you will be responsible for supporting and evaluating the deployment of geothermal heating and cooling systems for our commercial clients. You will collaborate with a growing team of software, electrical, and mechanical technologists as well as our commercial deployment team to deliver our novel drilling and heat pump technologies to decarbonize buildings everywhere. You will be the technical leader delivering customer-focused engineering solutions that meet geothermal and MEP project requirements. In doing so, you will also help set the early foundation of our commercial delivery organization’s culture, processes, systems, and standards.
- Evaluate geothermal heating and cooling system feasibility by utilizing engineering tools applying functional knowledge of building energy modeling, HVAC systems and equipment, cost estimations, etc.
- Review customer information to understand project feasibility, create preliminary HVAC estimates, and clarify necessary design and pricing assumptions
- Perform MEP engineering calculations and energy load analyses to evaluate, size, and recommend equipment for commercial building HVAC systems
- Leverage client utility and energy data to inform and predict savings estimates with geothermal installations
- Determines project needs, constraints, cost estimates, and responsibilities to meet the HVAC system design, sequence of operation and installation requirements.
- Share skills and knowledge across the organization by documenting best practices, case histories, and lessons learned to the company’s knowledge management database and in team learning sessions.
- Collaborate with the Commercial Operations Lead and CEO to participate in program presentations and represent Bedrock at energy efficiency trade shows and prospect meetings
- Other responsibilities during project evaluation and construction, including field verification, site observation reports, etc.
- Travel up to 25%
- BS in Mechanical, Environmental or Electrical Engineering, or Construction Management, with engineering technology experience
- 7+ years employment related to building engineering, HVAC engineering, construction, or cost estimation, with building modeling and HVAC experience demonstrated by: proficiency in HVAC design calculations; knowledge of Carrier HAP, Trace or other softwares; knowledge of ASHRAE standards and codes (IBC, IFC, IPC and NFPA); experience with geothermal heat pumps is preferred
- Excellent project management skills and a thorough understanding of building systems, energy efficiency and HVAC
- Demonstrated high-level of self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from test results, data collation, computations, and cost estimates, arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solutions
- Experience collaborating in cross-functional engineering environments
- Familiarity with advanced estimating and modeling technologies, including AutoCAD and energy modeling software, to deliver cutting-edge HVAC designs
- Passion for the clean energy transition and prior startup experience is a plus
- Proactivity: You take ownership, offer hypotheses, and hold yourself accountable.
- Coachability: You welcome & react constructively to feedback and seek new skills with gusto.
- Excellence: You hold yourself, and your team members, to high standards of performance.
- Creativity: You enjoy finding resourceful, unconventional, flexible solutions to problems.
- Integrity: You take pride in ethical, honest behavior, no matter who is around to see it.
- Compassion: You remember empathy, respect, and care in your interactions with others.
- Commitment to Diversity: You actively look to surround yourself & collaborate inclusively with people who are different from you in experience, background, worldview, and resources.
Bedrock Energy is building a strong culture based on our Organizational Values. In addition, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Bedrock Energy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.