Austin, Texas /
Research & Engineering – Mechanical Engineering /
Bedrock Energy is on a mission to transform the heating & cooling of buildings, using geothermal energy to radically reduce costs for people and the environment. We know that the earth underneath our cities holds extraordinary, untapped capacity to accelerate the clean energy transition, and Bedrock is gathering exceptional talent to scale this carbon-free, hyper-efficient, ultra-safe geothermal energy to buildings throughout the world. We seek to work with creative, collaborative, proactive team members who inspire us with their high standards of excellence, integrity, and commitment to our shared mission. We welcome you to join the Bedrock Energy team in empowering one another to innovate together, as we decarbonize buildings everywhere.
As the founding member of Bedrock Energy’s Mechanical Engineering team, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and integrating equipment and tools for the drilling and construction of geothermal heat exchange boreholes. You will collaborate with a growing team of software, electrical, and mechanical technologists to deliver the very first version of our intelligent, autonomous, compact, and powerful drilling rig for optimal installations of geothermal heating & cooling. In doing so, you will also help set the early foundation of our engineering organization’s culture, processes, systems, and standards.
- Design hardware for geothermal heating & cooling applications, utilizing engineering tools and applying functional specifications related to fluid systems, solid mechanics, tensile force analysis, heat transfer, well construction, coiled tubing, and drilling.
- Own the mechanical design & development life-cycle for these product areas, including developing strong relationships with internal and external partners to continuously improve our proprietary technology and our R&D systems and processes.
- Collaborate with business development colleagues, operational crews, and commercial partners to design and analyze field projects, acquire and process high-quality data, write engineering reports, conduct diagnosis of routine hardware malfunctions, and ensure efficient completion of geothermal installations.
- Collaborate with electrical and software engineers for the design, development, manufacturing, and deployment of integrated technologies.
- Participate in professional societies in areas of specialization, write technical papers, and present at technical and trade conferences.
- Support in development of patent inventions when applicable.
- Share skills and knowledge across the organization by documenting best practices, case histories, and lessons learned to the company’s knowledge management database and in team learning sessions.
- Perform other mechanical engineering tasks, as assigned by Bedrock Energy’s leadership.
- Degree(s) in Mechanical Engineering or related fields
- Industry experience related to geo-energy or hydrocarbon well construction, and downhole tool development
- PhD + 6 years of industry experience, or MS + 8 years of industry experience, or BS + 10 years of industry experience
- Experience collaborating in cross-functional engineering environments
- Passion for the clean energy transition
- Proactivity: You take ownership, offer hypotheses, and hold yourself accountable.
- Coachability: You welcome & react constructively to feedback and seek new skills with gusto.
- Excellence: You hold yourself, and your team members, to high standards of performance.
- Creativity: You enjoy finding resourceful, unconventional, flexible solutions to problems.
- Integrity: You take pride in ethical, honest behavior, no matter who is around to see it.
- Compassion: You remember empathy, respect, and care in your interactions with others.
- Commitment to Diversity: You actively look to surround yourself & collaborate inclusively with people who are different from you in experience, background, worldview, and resources.
Bedrock Energy is building a strong culture based on our Organizational Values.
In addition, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Bedrock Energy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.