Capital – Capital /
Regular Full Time
Beedie Capital is a multi-strategy direct investment platform that manages the alternative investments for Beedie, one of Western Canada’s largest private companies. Focusing primarily on the Technology and Mining space, we combine the strategic capabilities of an institutional investment platform with the entrepreneurial mindset of a privately owned business.
Our investments range from $10M to $50M as either equity or structured debt (i.e., subordinated debt, convertible debt), primarily in the US and Canada to both public and private companies. Our flexible mandate allows us to apply an agnostic and opportunity dependent approach to the industry, duration, structure, and size of our investments.
Beedie Capital is a multi-strategy direct investment platform that manages the alternative investments and assets for Beedie, one of the most successful industrial and residential development companies in Canada.
Our investments range from $10M to $50M as either structured debt (i.e., subordinated debt, convertible debt) or equity, primarily in the US and Canada to both public and private companies. We can invest in any sector; however, our core focus is on Technology, Tech-enabled Services, and Metals and Mining.
We are committed to providing an environment where our team members can thrive, learn, and progress in their careers. The Senior Account will be a crucial member of our accounting team, responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial operations, financial reporting and treasury function of Beedie Capital.
The successful candidate will be a trusted team player, will proactively develop a deep understanding of the business and professionally address the operational needs of the Investment team. This role will require the individual to work on-site in the Downtown office to support both the Finance and Investment teams.
- Responsible for full-cycle bookkeeping in the GL
- Review and post all journal entries
- Analyze and reconcile GL accounts
- Analyze and reconcile investment portfolio which contains multiple strategies
- Delegate and provide guidance to junior staff
- Research and propose solutions on accounting and reporting items
- Review and approve bank reconciliations
- Review investment closing document to identify proper accounting treatments
- Identify and recommend solutions for controls deficiencies
- Support senior staff and Operations Manager as required for ad hoc reporting
- Assist investment team with completing subscription agreements, KYC (Know Your Client) and any other tax information forms (ie, W-8 form)
- Deliver financial information to meet bank loan reporting covenants
- Reconcile accounting records to Addepar, a portfolio management solution
- Prepare working papers and account analyses
- Prepare quarterly consolidated financial statements
- Prepare consolidated pro forma statements
- Prepare consolidated budget variance analyses
- Assist with preparation of annual budget
- Review quarterly and year end working paper file and financial reporting in subsidiaries prepared by intermediate accountant
- Ensure all the company legal documents are received and properly filed
- Ensure reporting from external fund managers are received in a timely manner and reconciled to the GL
- Follow up with investment team for any missing document from the investees
- Provide insight to improve processes and increase efficiency across all functions
- Provide necessary documentation and support for audit inquiries
- Prepare investment movement schedules
- Prepare various working papers for year end reporting (i.e., supporting for year end cash flow statements)
- Assist with preparation of consolidated financial statements and notes disclosure
- Prepare quarterly tax pro forma
- Prepare tax pro forma for tax instalment top-up
- Prepare T2 tax return with supplementary working papers
- Review tax returns prepared by intermediate accountant
- Correspond with CRA on general tax account matters
- Review and approve GST remittance
- Research and propose solutions to tax issues that arise
- Manage cash flow
- Track unfunded commitments
- Prepare weekly cash flow projections
- Coordinate funding from lenders for upcoming deployment or any other cash needs
- Prepare monthly cash flow variance analysis
- Prepare quarterly cash flow actual versus budget variance analysis
- Support investment team and operations team as required for ad hoc reporting
- Support Family Office as required from time to time
Desired Skills and Experience
- Degree or designation in accounting. CA, CPA, CGA, CMA
- Experience with ASPE
- Experience with financial reporting, including consolidations
- Experience with preparation of corporate and partnership tax returns
- Proficient with accounting systems (Quickbooks and Excel are critical)
- Working knowledge of Excel pivot tables
- Strong work ethics, sense of responsibility and confidentiality
- Strong decision marking, communication (both verbal and written), and analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work both collaboratively and with limited supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to contribute effectively within a team environment
- Strong attention to detail balanced with an awareness of the bigger picture
- Demonstrated ability to give instructions and provide mentorship to junior staff to complete a task together effectively
- Introductory knowledge or a keen interest in investment fund industry
- Prior Fund Accounting is desired, but not required
$80,000 - $95,000 a year
The annual base pay range for this position will be based on the desired experience level for this role. Additionally, Beedie recognizes exceptional individual and team performance through our pay-for-performance bonus program. Factors that contribute to pay decisions include: relevant business and candidate factors such as market location, education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and organizational needs.
The base salary and bonus are just a few key components of the overall compensation at Beedie. We also provide generous learning and development support, comprehensive group health benefits, vacation, maternity leave top-up, RRSP matching, paid time for volunteering, and more...
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.