Industrial Construction – Estimating /
Regular Full Time
Who We Are
At Beedie, we foster talent, encourage innovation, and reward success. We’re always looking for like-minded people to join our team and share our passion for doing the best work of our lives. Our approach is simple: we work hard, we have fun, and we make a difference. And, we’ve been recognized as a top employer provincially and nationally. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization. If you are passionate, hardworking, ambitious, and want to be part of a dynamic and growing company that will take your career forward, join us.
We are looking for an Estimator to join our busy head office Estimating team to prepare accurate estimates for Industrial, Residential and Commercial projects. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and numerical skills, an analytical mindset and be detail oriented. This person will be responsible for working with the project specific Development Managers during earlier design phases and the Project Managers during later tender & construction phases.
- Analyze drawings and specifications
- Perform detailed quantity take-offs, from conceptual and developed documents, using a combination of Excel, On Screen Takeoff and Kubla Cubed
- Prepare and consult with Construction Operations with regard to General Requirements, construction methodology and schedules during the estimating process
- Prepare and fully understand requirements for General Requirements on Industrial, Commercial, Residential and TI projects
- During the budgeting process identify and evaluate project cost risks and opportunities
- Prepare and submit Industrial, Commercial, Residential and TI estimates to the Director of Estimating for review
- Present completed estimates to other Departments in an organized, detailed, and clear manner
- Present completed estimates to clients in an organized, detailed, and clear manner when necessary
- Ongoing communication with other Development Managers and Project Managers to ensure accuracy and flow of estimates and information
- Prepare instructions to bidders, bid forms, scopes of work and other tender documents
- Contact trades and consultants for budget and tender pricing
- Review and evaluate bids and proposals
- Review and assemble historical data in the form of unit and productivity rates
- Organize and update vendor and material pricing information
- Solicit costing and schedule information from subcontractors and suppliers
- Maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Maintain and update existing estimating processes
- Periodic site visits throughout the stages of construction
Desired Skills and Experience
- Post-secondary education in a related Engineering program and / or Construction Management program, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience as an Estimator in the construction industry
- Experience working as an Estimator in Light Industrial (tilt-up concrete), Commercial, High-rise Residential projects
- Excellent knowledge in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience with On-Screen Takeoff and Kubla Cubed
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking abilities
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Fluent in written and verbal English and an ability to communicate effectively
- Understand the 48 master format divisions of construction work
- Ability to switch tasks quickly as priorities change, and work on several projects simultaneously
- Demonstrates time management skills with the ability to handle tight deadlines
$90,000 - $105,000 a year
The annual base pay range for this position will be based on the desired experience level for this role. Additionally, Beedie recognizes exceptional individual and team performance through our pay-for-performance bonus program. Factors that contribute to pay decisions include: relevant business and candidate factors such as market location, education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and organizational needs.
The base salary and bonus are just a few key components of the overall compensation at Beedie. We also provide generous learning and development support, comprehensive group health benefits, vacation, maternity leave top-up, RRSP matching, paid time for volunteering, and more...
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.