Vancouver, BC /
Residential Development – Development /
Regular Full Time
Who We Are
At Beedie, we foster talent, encourage innovation, and reward success. We’re always looking for like-minded people to join our team and share our passion for doing the best work of our lives. Our approach is simple: we work hard, we have fun, and we make a difference. And, we’ve been recognized as a top employer provincially and nationally. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization. If you are passionate, hardworking, ambitious, and want to be part of a dynamic and growing company that will take your career forward, join us.
Beedie Living is the residential and mixed-use development division of Beedie. Since its launch in 2011, we have expanded our residential portfolio across the Greater Vancouver Area. Beedie Living has completed 1,500 homes to date, currently has 1,000 homes under construction and an additional 4,000 homes in their development pipeline.
Reporting to the Director, Residential Development, the Development Manager will be responsible for driving all activities associated with the development of multiple market residential, mixed-use, rental and/or non-market projects.
The Development Manager will be responsible for successfully bringing projects through acquisition, design development and approval, to market, construction, customer handover and through the warranty, and post-warranty periods.
- Immediate focus is on post-entitlement work, specifically retaining and directing consultant teams to deliver high caliber design and contract documentation to bring already rezoned projects to sales launch and through construction
- For the right candidate, the role will include being the development lead on the design and delivery of a 50,000sf Community Centre, as part of a recently approved master plan
- Work closely with the Director and other members of the development team to drive all activities associated with the development of residential and mixed-use projects
- Align the consultant team, internal and external partners and stakeholders on a unified overall concept and vision for the assigned development projects
- Assemble, manage and hold accountable the design, and professional consultants required in the development and design process
- Navigate the projects through municipal, and/or other regulatory approvals and entitlements
- Manage community engagement and stakeholder process as required
- Manage project proforma, budgets and schedule in collaboration with the finance, legal, marketing and construction teams
- Work closely with Beedie’s in-house Construction, Finance, Property Management, and Marketing teams to optimize design, ensure that projects are built to plan, vision, budget and schedule, while always seeking ways to add value and innovation
- Create and maintain sincere, positive working relationships with municipal professionals and community stakeholders to gauge and address relevant project concerns, risks and opportunities
Desired Skills and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Architecture, Engineering, Construction, Planning or Commerce (Urban Land Economics and Real Estate), Diploma Urban Land Economics (D.U.L.E.)
- Minimum 5 years of development experience, ideally working on mid-to high-rise mixed-use or residential towers. Because the immediate focus is to direct consultant teams toward exceptional design and high quality contract documentation, this role may be ideal for an Architect considering a move to development
- A strong familiarity with permit applications, local bylaws, and building requirements
- Proven success securing approvals, adeptly managing budgets and schedules for major development projects
- Ability to manage 3-5 development projects, depending on the scale of project and its status
- Established network of contacts within the municipal, consultant and development communities
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands, manage diverse personalities and to find the optimal balance between design and financial objectives
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to analyze current business problems and implement recommended solutions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, and MS Project as well as preferred knowledge of CAD, Sketch-up
- Excellent communication skills, organization and interpersonal skills
- Adapt and multi-task in a fast-paced working environment
- Ability to drive projects forward independently but being comfortable to ask the right questions and knowing when to seek help
- Energetic, entrepreneurial, confident and results-orientated
- Passionate about real estate development
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.