Intermediate Fund and Operations Accountant
Vancouver, BC /
Capital – Capital /
Regular Full Time
Beedie Capital is a multi-strategy direct investment platform that manages the alternative investments for Beedie, one of Western Canada’s largest private companies. Focusing primarily on the Technology and Mining space, we combine the strategic capabilities of an institutional investment platform with the entrepreneurial mindset of a privately owned business.
Our investments range from $10M to $50M as either equity or structured debt (i.e., subordinated debt, convertible debt), primarily in the US and Canada to both public and private companies. Our flexible mandate allows us to apply an agnostic and opportunity dependent approach to the industry, duration, structure, and size of our investments.
We are seeking an intermediate finance team member to take on a key role in relation to the governance, preparation and delivery of accurate investment reporting to leadership on a timely basis.
Under the direction of the Manager, Accounting & Reporting, the Intermediate Fund and Operations Accountant’s primarily responsibilities will include the maintenance and oversight of the investment portfolio databases in a cloud-based portfolio management software (Addepar), and providing deal related support to our team of experienced and dedicated portfolio managers. The position will also assist the finance team and other department functions as required and complete other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a continuous improvement mindset, strong accounting knowledge, solid communication skills, advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and knowledge of different type of investments such as private equity, private debt, publicly traded securities, and fund of funds will be an asset.
- Record and reconcile investment activity in Addepar.
- Update valuation of private capital/fund of funds based on valuation provided by the portfolio managers.
- Analyze and ensure publicly traded securities prices in Addepar are accurate.
- Assist with on-boarding new custodian accounts to Addepar platform.
- Calculate and report the Maintenance Value of the collateral.
- Produce bi-weekly publicly traded securities report.
- Responding to ad-hoc reporting requests as required by Operations Manager and portfolio managers.
- Track unfunded commitments for third party funds.
- Track investment ownership interests and structures.
- Track public securities positions and coordinate filing SEDI, press releases, early warning reports, SEC 13Gs, and any other securities regulatory reports.
- Complete security purchase agreements, supplementary tax forms, Know Your Client (KYC) forms and brokerage account opening forms.
- Input trade instructions in the online custodian portal.
- Serve as primary contact for broker and custodian back-office relationships.
- Assist with on-boarding new brokers to online custodian portal.
- Assist with publicly traded securities settlement.
- Assist with private capital deal closing.
Other responsibilities (as required):
- Assist with investment related queries.
- Support year-end audit requests.
- Support treasury and cash management as needed.
- Prepare profit & loss pro forma vs budget analysis.
- Prepare quarter-end working paper and financial statements.
- Assist with preparation of year end consolidated financial statements and notes disclosure.
- Contribute to department projects.
- Work to continually improve the processes associated with assigned functions.
Desired Skills and Experience
- CPA Designation
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to handle multiple demands, competing priorities and constant change
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work as a reliable team player
- Strong work ethics, sense of responsibility and confidentiality
- Ability to work both collaboratively and with limited supervision and exercise good judgement with issues that require assistance or escalation.
- Introductory knowledge or a keen interest in investment fund industry
- Prior Fund Accounting or Fund Operations experience is desired, but not required
- Prior experience with Addepar or other portfolio management software is desired, but not required.
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.