Director of Construction
Etobicoke, ON /
Industrial Construction – Project Management /
Regular Full Time
Who We Are
Since 1954, Beedie has combined innovation and craftsmanship to bring new possibilities to life. Today, we are one of Canada’s largest industrial and residential developers, having completed more than 35 million square feet of new development across BC, Alberta, southern Ontario, and Las Vegas, Nevada. With multiple industrial projects currently under construction and 9 projects totaling over 1.5M SF currently in development across the GTA, Beedie is looking for talented individuals to join our growing Ontario team as we continue to build for good.
At Beedie, we foster talent, encourage innovation, and reward success. We’re always looking for like-minded people to join our team and share our passion for doing the best work of our lives. Our approach is simple: we work hard, we have fun, and we make a difference. And, we’ve been recognized as a top employer provincially and nationally. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization. If you are passionate, hardworking, ambitious, and want to be part of a dynamic and growing company that will take your career forward, join us.
Responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the project management teams on Ontario construction projects to achieve the schedule, budget, quality, and safety goals of Beedie.
- Provide leadership to a team of Project Managers and Project Coordinators through motivation, mentoring and performance management
- Develop and apply defined project controls to identify, communicate, and manage project scope, goals, and project progress/performance
- Ensure project safety standards and environmental programs are always adhered to
- Oversee the project team to ensure that timeline, budget, schedule, safety, and quality standards are met
- Monitor and track projects metrics and identify barriers to project success; create and implement contingency plans to address risks and mitigation around schedule revisions, manpower adjustments, fund allocation and work requirements with the major stakeholders to keep projects on track
- Review and approve tender bid analysis reports for general contractor awards
- Ensure monthly written reports are provided on the progress and financial status of all active projects
- Together with project teams, be involved in all aspects of construction from pre-construction, through design and into turnover
- In conjunction with the HR Department, manage recruitment, terminations, and other personnel issues
- Monitor and manage projects costs, budgets, staffing requirements, project resources, project risks and review monthly cost reports.
- Review and approve progressive payments for the general contractors, and consultants
- Maintain excellent relationships with municipalities, clients, architects, consultants, and General Contractors
- Alongside the Development Team represent the PM group at the pre-con stage of projects to assist where applicable in pre-deal negotiations, review of project risks, engagement of consultant teams, schedule requirements and generally as required.
- Provide support to Senior Director, Industrial PM in the design of long- and short-term range goals and objectives, as well as development strategies for the Division
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all other Beedie Divisions including Development, Pre-Construction, Estimating, Operations and Property Management and generally work in accordance with the cross functional RACI matrix
- Gather lessons learned with project teams to review project success and areas requiring improvement for future projects and services and implement into future designs and projects
- Assist project teams in review of all change order issues, claims/disputes including tracking, negotiating, processing, and assessing cost and schedule impacts
- Maintain standardized department processes
Desired Skills and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Construction Management or Engineering or a related field
- Minimum 10 + years’ experience in the construction field, preferably on industrial construction projects
- Previous experience as a Senior Project Manager or Director of Construction, ideally overseeing a team of construction professionals
- Demonstrate ability to build relationships and to work effectively with people with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to provide direction and guidance on many complex projects simultaneously in a fast-paced team environment
- Results-oriented individual with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, teams, and timelines
- Proactively prioritize initiatives and have keen ability to multi-task
- Communicate clearly, proactively, and concisely with all key stakeholders, clients, and staff
- Establish and maintain long-term client relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
- Manage staff to assure they are meeting individual/group goals and lead project teams toward identified outcomes
- Excellent leadership skills and experience mentoring, managing, motivating, and developing staff
- Plan and track project performance for multiple projects
- Experience working in a complex service delivery environment
- Experience in negotiations and consensus building
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.