Etobicoke, ON /
Industrial Development – Development /
Regular Full Time
Who We Are
Since 1954, Beedie has combined innovation and craftsmanship to bring new possibilities to life. Today, we are one of Canada’s largest industrial and residential developers, having completed more than 35 million square feet of new development across BC, Alberta, southern Ontario, and Las Vegas, Nevada. With multiple industrial projects currently under construction and 9 projects totaling over 1.5M SF currently in development across the GTA, Beedie is looking for talented individuals to join our growing Ontario team as we continue to build for good.
At Beedie, we foster talent, encourage innovation, and reward success. We’re always looking for like-minded people to join our team and share our passion for doing the best work of our lives. Our approach is simple: we work hard, we have fun, and we make a difference. And, we’ve been recognized as a top employer provincially and nationally. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization. If you are passionate, hardworking, ambitious, and want to be part of a dynamic and growing company that will take your career forward, join us.
Responsible for managing approvals and pre-construction for speculative and built-to-suit industrial projects in Ontario from conception through obtaining rezoning or site plan approval. With the support of the BC & Alberta Development Team, this individual will participate in the due diligence review of land and building acquisitions, assist with land development strategy, proforma creation, review legal contracts, engage and manage consultants and prepare, submit and negotiate applications for development approvals.
- Support the development acquisitions team by reviewing zoning bylaws, restrictive covenants, design guidelines and preliminary design drawings.
- Visit prospective land opportunities to assess existing conditions, prepare a comprehensive condition assessment report, and identify any site-specific extraordinary costs or risks.
- Review land due diligence packages including geotechnical and environmental reports and create site preparation budgets.
- Lead the consultant team with submission and rezoning applications, land subdivision and development permits and coordinate with municipal planning and building departments.
- Expedite the resolution of all development permit issues which arise to maintain project schedules and the level of quality of each project.
- Develop and manage entitlements and design schedules and ensure that key milestones are achieved.
- Participate in the RFP process by reviewing proposals and reviewing pre-construction building specifications.
- Lead Site Plan Approval process.
- Work with the construction team to create building specifications for speculative developments based on market standard requirements.
- Work with development team to generate building layouts for built-to-suit and speculative developments.
- Participate in design meetings to analyze plans and specifications for coordination, constructability, value engineering, and completeness.
- Work with the various clients from initial contact through turnover to construction.
- Assist the development team on scope and process questions during turnover to construction.
- Work closely with development and construction teams to facilitate successful project turnover.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience as a development manager in land acquisition, development and proformas, and oversight in vertical construction.
- Experience in working with municipal departments for rezoning, and site plan approval and building permit applications.
- Strong understanding of legal contracts and title documents.
- Experience managing environmental and conservation issues and working with relevant approving entities to achieve mutually beneficial solutions.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as Development Manager, desire to work in a fast paced environment for a business in growth mode. Known as an individual who can manage risk and deliverables on multiple, concurrent projects.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline, real estate, finance or construction.
- Excellent communication skills, combined with proven presentation experience within a senior level management group.
- A track record of establishing highly functional relationships with diverse personalities both within and outside the company.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook as well as preferred knowledge of Timberline and MS Project.
- Good knowledge of the Ontario building code.
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.