Summer Interns – Summer Interns /
Temporary Full Time /
Who We Are
At Beedie, we foster talent, encourage innovation, and reward success. We’re always looking for like-minded people to join our team and share our passion for doing the best work of our lives. Our approach is simple: we work hard, we have fun, and we make a difference. And, we’ve been recognized as a top employer provincially and nationally. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization. If you are passionate, hardworking, ambitious, and want to be part of a dynamic and growing company that will take your career forward, join us.
We currently have an internship opportunity for a talented and creative student to be part of our Estimating team and share our values and passion. We are looking for a motivated, technically inclined student who enjoys working on a wide variety of tasks and projects, is quick to learn, enthusiastic about Construction and wants to work for the largest Industrial Developer in Western Canada. This career opportunity offers creative challenges to learn and develop new skills and experiences.
- Analyze drawings and specifications
- Perform detailed quantity take-offs, from conceptual and developed documents, using a combination of Excel, On Screen Takeoff and Kubla Cubed
- Attend Development project turnover meetings and take notes. Evaluate quality of information and documents turned over
- Ongoing communication with other Departments to ensure accuracy and flow of estimates and information
- Assist Estimators and Senior Estimators preparing industrial and residential project estimates
- Assist Estimators and Senior Estimators preparing instructions to bidders, bid form, scopes of work and other tender documents
- Contact trades for budget and tender pricing
- Assist Estimators and Senior Estimators in reviewing and evaluating bids and proposals
- Assist the Director of Estimating with day to day tasks. ie. Gathering data, reports etc.
- Organize and update vendor and material pricing information
- Solicit costing and schedule information from subcontractors and suppliers
- Maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Periodic site visits throughout the stages of construction
Desired Skills and Experience
- Working towards a diploma/degree in Estimating, Architectural and Building Technology or related fields
- Strong Mathematical skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Strong computer skills with hands-on working knowledge of MS Office, particularly Excel and Word
- Team player, energetic, resourceful, reliable and timely
- Eager to work and learn in a fast-paced industry
- Comfortable working in an office setting
- Previous experience in the construction industry is an asset
- Basic understanding of construction and construction methods and systems is an asset
- Able to switch tasks quickly as priorities change, and work on several projects simultaneously
- Demonstrate time management skills with the ability to handle tight deadlines
Your annual salary will be $46,800 ($24/per hour)
In-person interviews will be conducted from February 20th - 27th in our Burnaby head office.
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.