Assistant Development Manager
Etobicoke, ON /
Industrial Development – Development /
Regular Full Time
Who We Are
Since 1954, Beedie has combined innovation and craftsmanship to bring new possibilities to life. Today, we are one of Canada’s largest industrial and residential developers, having completed more than 35 million square feet of new development across BC, Alberta, southern Ontario, and Las Vegas, Nevada. With multiple industrial projects currently under construction and 9 projects totaling over 1.5M SF currently in development across the GTA, Beedie is looking for talented individuals to join our growing Ontario team as we continue to build for good.
At Beedie, we foster talent, encourage innovation, and reward success. We’re always looking for like-minded people to join our team and share our passion for doing the best work of our lives. Our approach is simple: we work hard, we have fun, and we make a difference. And, we’ve been recognized as a top employer provincially and nationally. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization. If you are passionate, hardworking, ambitious, and want to be part of a dynamic and growing company that will take your career forward, join us.
Our Assistant Development Manager is responsible for managing and assisting in managing speculative and built-to-suit industrial projects from initial acquisition through to obtaining all development approvals. Primary responsibilities include engaging and coordinating the project consultant team and managing the municipal permitting process and project timelines. This role will work closely with the sales team, design, estimating, land development and the construction team, with support from the BC & Alberta Development Team as well.
- Manage and assist in management of development applications including Rezoning’s, Site Plan Approvals, Subdivisions/Consolidations, and others such as Erosion Sediment Control and Tree Cutting Permits.
- Request and review RFP’s, manage consultants, review designs, and manage consultant schedules
- Review site plans and identify any potential conflicts with on and off-site infrastructure, grades, trees/vegetation, and compliance with municipal engineering design requirements
- Ensure client specifications and Beedie standards are integrated into the design of the project
- Work with the Civil Consultant to develop Servicing and Grading Plans that minimize project costs while maximizing site area and flexibility for future users. Lead the consultant team with submission of development applications and all required permits/approvals.
- Review comments on development approvals, strategize on the most cost effective and least disruptive approach to advance approvals and work with estimating team to finalize costs.
- Expedite the resolution of all site plan approval issues which arise to maintain project schedules and the level of quality of each project
- Complete detailed due diligence on both new acquisitions and site’s already within Beedie’s existing portfolio including legal review in advance of preparing applications.
- Participate in design meetings to evaluate designs from an approvals perspective, zoning compliance, financial feasibility, constructability concerns, and compliance with any encumbrances.
- Assist in producing development schedules using Primavera (P6) and identify any risks within the design and strategy to the internal team
- Work closely with development and construction teams to facilitate successful construction integration.
- Assist in producing and reviewing development budgets that are consistent with both the project schedule and requirements.
- Provide leadership to growing group of Development Coordinators.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience as a development coordinator or assistant development manager in land and/or building development
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline (Urban Planning, Real Estate, Finance or other related field)
- Experience and strong understanding of municipal approval processes including OCP/Zoning Amendments, Site Plan Approval, Site Alteration and Erosion Sediment Control Permits.
- Strong ability to review and understand architectural, civil, and landscape drawings
- Strong understanding of legal contracts and title documents
- Strong understanding of municipal governance structures, as well as where provincial and federal authorities can impact development
- Excellent communication skills, combined with proven presentation experience within a senior level management group
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook
- Work knowledge of Yardi, ProCore and P6 Scheduling Software is an asset but not required.
- Thrives in a fast paced, team oriented environment
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.