Vice President, Industrial
Etobicoke, ON /
Industrial Development – Development /
Regular Full Time
Who We Are
Since 1954, Beedie has combined innovation and craftsmanship to bring new possibilities to life. Today, we are one of Canada’s largest industrial and residential developers, having completed more than 35 million square feet of new development across BC, Alberta, southern Ontario, and Las Vegas, Nevada. With multiple industrial projects currently under construction and 9 projects totaling over 1.5M SF currently in development across the GTA, Beedie is looking for talented individuals to join our growing Ontario team as we continue to build for good.
At Beedie, we foster talent, encourage innovation, and reward success. We’re always looking for like-minded people to join our team and share our passion for doing the best work of our lives. Our approach is simple: we work hard, we have fun, and we make a difference. And, we’ve been recognized as a top employer provincially and nationally. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization. If you are passionate, hardworking, ambitious, and want to be part of a dynamic and growing company that will take your career forward, join us.
The Vice President, Industrial plays an integral role in supporting Beedie’s ambitious growth plans as it continues expanding in the Greater Toronto Area. This will be a leadership position for the Ontario office and will play a key role in the development of the team and successful execution of the current and future pipeline.
Responsibilities include, managing acquisition and development opportunities as well as facilitating the municipal approval process for industrial projects in Ontario from conception through to purchaser / tenant turnover. With support from BC & Alberta, this individual will be a key leader in the due diligence review of land and building acquisitions, approve development proformas, legal contracts, oversee engagement of consultants and work with existing team to facilitate development applications and relationships with municipal officials.
Leadership & Team Management:
- Provide leadership to the project teams through all phases of development to ensure projects are consistent with approved pre-development objectives and achieve timing, quality, and profitability targets. This includes leading the project team through acquisition, design, approvals, marketing, and sales/leasing.
- Contribute to the successful development and performance of the Ontario team. This includes communicating and establishing team and individual goals and objectives, managing ongoing performance, and providing appropriate feedback.
- Review, and communicate project progress reports to ownership monthly and as required.
- Work collaboratively with other functional and departmental leaders.
- Assist asset management team when required.
- Participate in various industry associations (ex. NAIOP, SIOR).
- Take an active role in mentoring all members of the Toronto office and recruitment of future talent.
- Establish and drive internal culture the Toronto office
- Maintain and establish positive working relationships with relevant city staff and elected officials.
- Oversee strategy and project schedule and ensure that both internal and external team members adhere to agreed-upon timelines.
- Oversee development team to develop and maintain proformas for developments.
- Lead development team in generating building layouts for built-to-suit and speculative developments.
- Participate in design meetings to analyze plans and specifications for coordination, constructability, value engineering, and completeness.
- Ensure the development team is following best practices regarding process and scope during turnover to construction.
- Work with construction team to resolve any project issues/questions that arise through the design and construction process.
- Participate in the RFP process by preparing proposals and reviewing pre-construction building specifications.
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant consultants.
- Work with the acquisitions team to create a GTA wide strategy with target locations for land acquisitions as well as redevelopment or IPP acquisitions. Ensure this strategy is in line with organization wide objectives and communicated with VP Finance.
- Communicate with brokerage community on a regular basis to source opportunities and answer questions regarding acquisitions and proposed developments.
- Manage the land acquisitions process by overseeing both the internal team members and external consultants through the various aspects of site due diligence.
- Stay current on market trends for building design and specifications. Keep informed of competition, market conditions and relevant development by-laws, regulations, and guidelines.
- Visit prospective land opportunities to assess existing conditions and suitability for the proposed development.
- Meet with potential clients regarding build-to-suit purchases, leases and condo purchases.
- Ensure effective communication between development, construction, sales and marketing throughout the entire project lifecycle.
- Work with sales team to confirm sales assumptions and ensure that project proformas reflect the same.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with the rezone, subdivision, Site Plan Approval and Building Permit process in a variety of municipalities and other city approvals.
- Experience as a development professional in land and building acquisition.
- Experience with reviewing proformas for selling and leasing commercial properties.
- Experience in working with municipal departments for rezoning, and site plan and building permit applications.
- Good knowledge of the Ontario building code.
- Strong understanding of legal contracts and title documents.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a senior development executive.
- Experience with land due diligence review, and managing tasks on multiple, concurrent projects.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline.
- Excellent communication skills, combined with proven presentation experience within a senior level management group.
- A track record of establishing highly functional relationships with diverse personalities both within and outside the company.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook as well as preferred knowledge of Yardi and P6 Scheduling.
- Experience in government advocacy, either directly or through industry associations.
We value your interest in Beedie. While we can only respond to shortlisted applicants, we will keep your information on file and consider you for future opportunities as they come available.