User Experience Researcher & Designer
United States /
HCD – QMARS /
Bellese Technologies is looking for someone with a passion for solving big problems in healthcare. We need engineers who love to build software that leads to performant, elegant, and useful solutions used by millions of Americans. People use our solutions to provide information about care and coverage when it is needed most to make decisions about their health. We develop digital services that empower patients and caregivers with cost and quality information, as they have come to expect.
Do you like to tackle complex problems and help define/build their solution? Do you like to translate the needs of humans into software designs and solutions? Do you enjoy complex data analysis with large data sets? If you answer “yes” to many/all of these questions then you may be just the kind of person we are looking for.
Our team is charged with maintaining and improving the software at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) that supports the Quality Management and Review Systems (QMARS) program. QMARS online case management system supports the CMS Beneficiary and Family-Centered Care (BFCC) Quality Improvement Organization (QIO) program. The QIO program is one of the largest federal programs dedicated to improving healthcare quality for Medicare beneficiaries across the country. Our teams will continuously strive to modernize these systems while improving them in ways that reduce provider burden and minimize costs to CMS. We do this through HCD and Service design practices, product thinking, and skilled engineering. At Bellese, we’re relentlessly focused on enabling and empowering providers to focus on improving the quality and safety of patient care.
Bellese Technologies is a cutting-edge civic technology firm. We foster a learning environment that thrives on curiosity, innovation, and passion about improving healthcare in America. Our remote-first team is spread across 20+ states and leverages exceptional collaboration to amplify our strengths. Bellese is minority-owned and operated. We provide an environment focused on helping you achieve your goals. Because when you succeed, we all succeed.
You're good at
- Developing research plans and hypotheses.
- Designing digital experiences rooted in research that are easily understood by users.
- Working with product owners and stakeholders to validate research hypotheses.
- Using both qualitative and quantitative methods such as interviews, surveys, card sorting/tree testing, usability testing, etc.
- Knowing which research methods to apply in which context, given product team goals and needs.
- Valuing outcomes more than the tools used to produce outcomes.
- Finding, recruiting, and scheduling research participants.
- Communicating effectively with clients, research participants, and teammates.
- Analyzing research findings to create actionable insights and work with designers to translate them into product features.
- Sitting in the customer’s and user’s shoes: you seek to understand and empathize with the users and their goals – their problems are your problems.
- Design heuristic evaluations.
- Working as part of an agile software development team - you’re a creative thinker and skilled communicator who thrives in cross-functional teams.
- Translating ideas into actionable, testable solutions, and working with engineering teams to define and implement those solutions.
- All stages of the product development lifecycle - from research through design inception through implementation.
We need your help to
- Design leading and innovative digital services that help improve the quality of healthcare in America.
- Develop and facilitate Design Thinking workshops, using Lateral thinking frameworks and tools.
- Balance business goals, user needs, and project constraints.
- Communicate research insights to product owners and stakeholders and contribute to the existing body of knowledge about users of CMS services and products.
- Work with diverse product teams including business stakeholders, product owners, product managers, delivery managers, designers, developers, and other researchers.
- Measure results: you define success through clear metrics so the customer can see what works and what doesn’t.
- Succinctly communicating or demonstrating issues to your team, and leading the thought process of your team to drive toward feasible, viable, and highly-usable solutions.
- Work with customer support and user research to identify current user experience issues, and drive measurable improvements.
- Release and support software systems to healthcare providers.
- Manage a product backlog (Epics, Features, User Stories) in support of a strategic Product Roadmap.
- Engage and communicate with both technical and non-technical team members.
- Carry out all stages of the product development lifecycle - from research through design inception through implementation.
Extra credit for expertise in
- UI design tools (such as Figma, Sketch, etc), Google Analytics, HotJar, and graphical prototyping tools (such as InVision, Figma, UXPin, or Adobe XD).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Deeply curious and collaborative mindset.
- Healthcare product management and areas where access to the users may be difficult.
- Working knowledge of on-the-ground clinical operations or revenue cycle management in healthcare.
- Three weeks paid leave
- Flexible Schedule and Remote-First culture
- $3000 annual education stipend
- MacBook Pro, monitor, $150 annual electronics stipend
- Collaborative, learning environment
- Health insurance
- 401K Plan with Safe Harbor contribution
- Full-time remote work (from anywhere in the United States), even post-pandemic
- Great people and minority ownership that is committed to “Improving the healthcare journey through civic innovation.”
- A commitment to civic technology and working on things that make an impact
If you are still reading, we should talk. Take a few minutes to “Apply For This Job” and get the conversation started. Your future self will thank you. We look forward to talking to you.
Executive Order requiring COVID safety protocols
Bellese employees are Federal Workers and are subject to Executive Order 14042, Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, dated September 9, 2021 (published in the Federal Register on September 14, 2021, 86 FR 50985). As condition of employment, employees will need to provide either: a: proof of completed COVID vaccinations OR b: have an approved medical or religious exemption and proof of weekly COVID testing.
U.S. citizen or legal right to work in the United States without sponsorship
Bellese Technologies, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. In addition to federal law requirements, Bellese Technologies, LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
EEO is the law:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement