Senior DevOps Engineer
Bellhops is the largest and fastest growing tech-enabled platform for moving services, serving 20+ U.S. cities. We are transforming the industry with a new breed of moving services that are accessible for everyone, including price conscious do-it-yourselfers and those who desire a simple, affordable, and trustworthy alternative to traditional movers.
We are looking for senior devops engineers with a passion for automation. This position touches all parts of our infrastructure: networking, CI, deployment, patches, monitoring, alerting. The ideal candidate comes from a Systems Engineering/SRE background and has experience with Linux, scripting, configuration management, infrastructure-as-code, containerization, and AWS.
- You fix it twice. You strive to find creative solutions to routine problems and don't let problems become a recurring nuisance because you've already automated a fix for them.
- Linux wizard. You understand the OS from top to bottom so that you can best leverage OS abilities to get the job done. Experience with Debian and Ubuntu preferable.
- Drive for configuration management over manual provisioning. You detest snowflakes and bespoke, hand-crafted servers, and prefer to develop solutions in the most automated way possible. We use Ansible, but any experience with a modern configuration management engine (Chef, Puppet, Salt) will suffice.
- Strong architecture chops. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant infrastructure that supports our unique growth requirements. You have experience with containerization to build this architecture, and the tools that support it (e.g., Docker, Swarm, Kubernetes, CoreOS, Rancher).
- Obsession with Nines. All of your work pushes the overall infrastructure reliability forward. You obsess over details that prevent massive outages down the road that others may not see or think about.
- Monitoring and metric driven. The only way to truly understand infrastructure and the code residing within it is to gather and display meaningful metrics. You strive to develop and maintain metrics so that the organization can better understand ramifications of code changes.
- Versatility. You have the ability to quickly change gears between doing project work, supporting software engineers, and diagnosing emergent issues.
- Ownership. You have the ability and willingness to participate in an on-call rotation (both during and outside of business hours) and to conduct post-mortems after outages.
- 401K w/ company match
Bellhops is a nationwide, tech-enabled company that mobilizes awesome, beefy student labor for collegiate and small residential moving. Currently operating in dozens of cities nationwide, and contracting thousands of student Bellhops, we are reaching a growing number of clients rapidly. Since launching in 2011, we have executed thousands and thousands of moves by leveraging technology to provide a simple, affordable, on-demand solution for local micro-moving.
About Our Team:
We currently manage a growing e-commerce market and labor force management system for thousands of our contractors and customers nationwide. An engineer that works with us will be expected to adopt team practices and, after onboarding, will be expected to work closely with team members to solve the desires and needs of our customers and operations team. We aggressively test (TDD) and our new hire would need to be competent at completing test cycles for new features. We often pair program when making architectural design changes but will put our heads down on days when minor changes are requested. Our team operates at a fast pace and will cloud deploy multiple versions of our product continuously throughout the day. We’re growing quickly and our new team member is not only critical to our success but has a great deal of input into the course of the company from a technical perspective. We need your influence and we want your experience.