Software Engineer, Marketplace Dynamics
Bellhops is the largest and fastest growing tech-enabled platform for moving services, serving 20+ U.S. cities. We are transforming the industry with a new breed of moving services that are accessible for everyone, including price conscious do-it-yourselfers and those who desire a simple, affordable, and trustworthy alternative to traditional movers.
We’re looking for engineers who are passionate about building effective marketplace algorithms in a fast-paced, high-growth start-up environment.
As a marketplace dynamics engineer, you'll be responsible for designing and implementing the algorithms that make our marketplace run smoothly. You'll be responsible for software that runs asynchronously over large sets of dynamic data to solve difficult logistical problems in near real time. You'll work closely with business stakeholders and apply your knowledge to create solutions to some of the company’s most pressing operational problems.
- Team Player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Iterative Design and Development. You think an MVP is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Strong architecture chops. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- Business acumen. You understand the requirements of a high-growth business, and can identify low-effort, high-impact areas of focus. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool used by Bellhops HQ operation teams, or a feature used by customers, your attention to detail leads to a solution that benefits the business in the short and long term.
- Academic exposure. You have participated in research projects, published a paper in a peer-reviewed journal, or implemented computational research in a project that you worked on.
- 401K w/ company match
Bellhops is a nationwide, tech-enabled company that mobilizes awesome, beefy student labor for collegiate and small residential moving. Currently operating in dozens of cities nationwide, and contracting thousands of student Bellhops, we are reaching a growing number of clients rapidly. Since launching in 2011, we have executed thousands and thousands of moves by leveraging technology to provide a simple, affordable, on-demand solution for local micro-moving.
About Our Team:
We currently manage a growing e-commerce market and labor force management system for thousands of our contractors and customers nationwide. An engineer that works with us will be expected to adopt team practices and, after onboarding, will be expected to work closely with team members to solve the desires and needs of our customers and operations team. We aggressively test (TDD) and our new hire would need to be competent at completing test cycles for new features. We often pair program when making architectural design changes but will put our heads down on days when minor changes are requested. Our team operates at a fast pace and will cloud deploy multiple versions of our product continuously throughout the day. We’re growing quickly and our new team member is not only critical to our success but has a great deal of input into the course of the company from a technical perspective. We need your influence and we want your experience.