Senior Front-End Engineer
Senior Frontend Engineer
Moving to a new home -- whether across town or across the country -- is one of the more stressful experiences in life. Bellhop was founded to fix that. We’re a fast-growing, well-funded tech startup that aims to make moving seamless and enjoyable. From an engineering perspective, this requires a focus on scalability, reliability, logistics, and most importantly, customer obsession. After all, customers' personal belongings are in our hands.
To be successful, a strong candidate finds opportunities for efficiency, is a natural problem solver, and is capable of multitasking and working cross-functionally with stakeholders across Product, Engineering, Customer Experience, and other teams.
As a Senior Frontend Engineer on the Web team, you will be an independent contributor for large initiatives within an Epic oriented squad.
What you'll be doing:
- You will be responsible for building both client facing applications as well as internal tooling applications.
- You should be able to translate our company and customer needs into functional and appealing responsive applications based on limited design direction using existing UI’s as a point of reference.
- While this position does not require extensive UI/UX design experience, a basic understanding of UI/UX principles and best practices are expected.
- Ultimately, you should be able to create both functional and attractive applications while ensuring a clean user experience and consistency in designs across our product suite.
- Assist in grooming tickets with Product owners.
- Maintain and improve our marketing site and internal tooling applications.
- Ensure applications are optimized for speed and performance.
- Develop features to be fully responsive from desktop to mobile clients.
- Collaborate with Backend developers to integrate internal API’s.
- Extend and maintain our proxy web API’s (Express).
- Get feedback from, and build solutions for, users and customers.
- Write functional requirement documents and guides.
- Help Backend developers with troubleshooting client side implementations.
- Ensure high quality UI standards and brand consistency.
- Stay up to date on emerging technologies.
- This position covers a variety of products and an ability to alternate between code bases within a sprint is necessary to be successful in this role. As this position is remote, consistent and predictable access to Slack is required.
- Take products from MVP to production. You think an MVP is the best way to make a point. The sooner you can ship and iterate, the better.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Advocate for software engineering best practices and principles.
- Build robust and scalable web applications that are resistant to failure.
- Identify and advocate for improvements to product performance, security, and quality.
- Collaborate with teammates to create a clean and efficient system to deliver the best possible user experience.
- 6+ years of professional software experience, with a focus in frontend development.
- Proven work experience as a Frontend Web developer.
- Can style components to meet design standards.
- Familiarity with browser testing and debugging.
- In-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development and deployment).
- Understanding of layout aesthetics.
- Knowledge of SEO principles.
- Familiarity with software like Figma and content management systems.
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously and consistently delivering on time.
- High degree of organization and eye for detail.
- You thrive in ambiguity and bring an optimistic view of what can be accomplished.
- Ability to get stuff done (GSD) on a small team with ownership and accountability.
Nice to Haves:
- Express and React Admin package experience is a plus.
- Previous work history with a startup or growth stage company.
Beyond the technical requirements, we're looking for someone who will bring a positive cultural contribution to our 100% remote engineering team. You, like us, prefer to work with people who exude an optimistic, can-do attitude.
While each member of our team has a specific, clearly defined role, we’re all connected by a strong set of values that’s been developed to build long-term relationships, foster advancement, and guide the decisions we make. We want each individual at our company to grow as we grow. And so we invest in their professional development and support them as they learn new skills and take on bigger challenges.
To bring out the best in our people, each day we encourage and celebrate:
Innovator’s Mind. We're driven to identify opportunities and create solutions to better serve our customers. We learn from mistakes quickly.
Servant’s Heart. We're devoted to caring for others by putting them first and treating them as we'd like to be treated. We approach life with optimism, energy, and lightheartedness. We always give more than we take.
Winning Drive. We're committed to getting things done the right way even if it's the hard way. We relentlessly raise the bar in our efforts.
WHY WORK AT BELLHOP?
Because every day you will be able to see the positive impact you have on people’s lives. Moving is considered one of the most stressful experiences people go through, and we have found a way to make it easier and more comfortable.
Because you will collaborate with exceptionally talented people. Our tech-enabled approach means you will work with teams of top-shelf engineers, product managers, operations strategists, customer-care specialists, and growth experts. You will also be joining us at a time when you’ll have a huge opportunity to chart the course for our continued growth.
Because our culture sets us apart. We have ambitious goals and make sure everyone feels encouraged to own their portion of the business, experiment with new ideas, and take the proper actions to achieve success.
Because we take good care of each other. We provide competitive compensation packages that include a significant equity incentive as well as health coverage and accommodations to achieve a sustainable work-life balance.
Benefits to Enjoy Include:
Dental, Medical, & Vision insurance
Employee assistance program
Flexible spending account
Health savings account
Unlimited Paid time off
Professional development assistance
Bellhop believes if we want to build a company that works for everyone—we must include everyone, which is why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer that complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Bellhop strictly prohibits and does not tolerate harassment or discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.