Toronto, Ontario /
R&D – R&D /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a R&D Scientist to join our R&D Team. You will report to R&D Manager.
- Generate training set for ML modeling
- Help with labeling of text and image data collected from publications
- QA data from ML models and data pipelines to identify deficiencies and to develop strategies to improve overall data collection
- Conduct ongoing research to improve use case data collection for all reagent groups
- Develop new ways to apply our ML technology to design experiments
- Expand our biomedical libraries and overall proteomic functionalities
- QA current mapping data and develop new methods to improve mapping
- Keep up with current biomedical research to guide technology development
- Help with improvement of UI/UX and search accuracy of the BenchSci platform
- Build trust with your colleagues through open and transparent communication.
- PhD in life sciences (e.g. Cell Biology, Molecular Genetics, Microbiology, ...)
- Knowledge in molecular/cell biology, proteomics and genetics
- Knowledge or bench experience in experimental biology research techniques, including: Immunological methods (in vitro/in vivo, cell-based and analytical), Genetics (cloning, CRISPR, NGS), Functional assays (kinase assays, cytotoxicity, neutralization/activation), and Analytical Biology (pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, LC/MS, SPR)
- Experience working with bioinformatics databases (eg. Uniprot, STRING, Kegg Pathways,…)
- Ability to develop solutions to unique and novel problems, while adapting to changing priorities.
- Experience creating and improving processes to maximize efficiency or reliability.
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan (everyone gets the "executive treatment")
- Effectiveness coaching for managers including onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health support including mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week (we're closed Dec 25-Jan 1)
- Additional days off such as BenchSci summer day, your birthday, and more.
- Work from anywhere flexibility. Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym to keep fit with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package including health, dental and vision care.
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.