Tech Lead - Science Tools
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
Engineering – Data /
BenchSci's vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We do this by empowering scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, easy to use biomedical artificial intelligence software platform, thereby avoiding delays that slow the progress of medicine to clinical trials. Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for more than 41,000 scientists that accelerates research at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently seeking a Tech Lead to join our growing Science Tools Team! Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will oversee and execute the technical aspects for BenchSci’s Science Tools – a self-serve and enablement system for the entire organization to manage our life-science data assets. As a Tech Lead, you will be responsible for harnessing the power of the team to effectively deliver value to both of our customers and stakeholders through sound technical decisions and design.
- Lead the technical aspects for BenchSci’s Science Tools team
- Chart the development of the tooling technology with scientists, engineers and researchers to ensure the functionalities fit their day-to-day workflows
- Plan, execute, and deliver quality technical deliverables in a timely manner
- Scale a highly adaptive ingestion framework to handle heterogeneous data formats from external sources
- Coach and mentor team members to continuously improve and acquire new technical skills
- Give presentations to various audiences, both technical and non-technical
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional full-stack developer
- Experience working in a technical leadership capacity
- Experience building web applications in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with application development frameworks such as Spring, Django, or Rails
- Experience with Angular, Vue, or React
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban, or XP
- Experience with API development and Reactive principles
- Experience with database design and RDBMS performance tuning
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and implementing standard data processing patterns on the cloud
- Experience with Kubernetes in production
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Background in Life Science
- Experience in Python
- Experience in Spark, Dataset/DataFrame API, and performance tuning
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation or Config Connector
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan (everyone gets the "executive treatment")
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from an executive coach with a doctorate in clinical psychology
- Mental health support including mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week (we're closed Dec 25-Jan 1)
- Additional days off such as BenchSci summer day, your birthday, and more
- Work from anywhere flexibility. Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym to keep fit with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package including health, dental and vision care
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.