Engineering Manager - Core Infrastructure
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Core Infrastructure /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently seeking an Engineering Manager to join our rapidly growing Core Infrastructure team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, Data & DevOps, you will be responsible for planning and delivery, as well as the mentoring and coaching of engineers. You will work closely with multiple teams and our Principal Engineer to build and execute a long-term roadmap as our infrastructure and security needs rapidly grow.
- Recruit, lead, and mentor a team of talented Core Infrastructure engineers
- Own and drive execution of the technical roadmap for this team
- Take a leadership role in our recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes
- Manage the growth and development of all engineers on your team through 1:1 meetings and regular feedback
- Help improve the processes and patterns of interfacing with multiple teams
- Foster successful partnerships critical to the design, development, testing, and implementation of delivery and reliability solutions
- Accurately scope multiple concurrent project requirements and manage delivery timelines
- Identify process and knowledge gaps and work to bridge them
- Raise the visibility of security best practices across the organization and validate that our services, applications, and websites are secured against the latest threats
- Improve application monitoring processes to easily allow development teams to integrate application telemetry
- 4+ years of experience working as a professional software engineer, including 3+ years of hands-on experience with public cloud infrastructure, DevOps, and SRE
- 2+ years of experience working as an engineering team manager
- Strong DevOps CI/CD knowledge including use of tools such as Git, Terraform, Jenkins, Ansible, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Software engineering experience in Python
- Experience contributing to and managing roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
- A track record of delivering projects that have improved audibility, monitoring, and application reliability
- The ability to understand and explain complex systems, and independently learn new technologies
- The ability to balance delivering on ambitious projects with fostering positive team dynamics
- Strong leadership and communication skills
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with GCP
- Experience with security/compliance auditing (e.g. SOC2, GDPR)
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.