Software Engineer - Information Retrieval (IR)
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
Engineering – Data /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently seeking a Software Engineer to join our Information Retrieval Team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, R&D, you will work on expanding our ability to analyze millions of scientific journals and bioinformatics databases to extract reproducible and valuable scientific insights. In this role, you'll work on complex projects, actively contribute to BenchSci's information retrieval and document mining initiatives, and learn and grow along with other engineers as you help shape the future of scientific discovery and progress.
- Collaborate with life scientists and machine learning engineers on how to capture and model additional scientific experiments
- Expand the types of biological reagents and experiments that we can successfully extract from various types of media
- Apply state-of-the-art data processing engines to rapidly process our data sets
- Collaborate closely with ML and Data engineers to solve interesting and challenging problems with respect to document mining and information retrieval
- Employ best practices for a broad platform of technologies within a cloud-based environment
- Work on projects involving some of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world
- Solve difficult problems, provide an alternate viewpoint, and bring new perspectives to the team
- Provide troubleshooting analysis and resolution in a timely manner
- Have opportunities to work both independently and in pair-programming settings
- Be given an unmatched opportunity for growth and development, and to learn from a team of outstanding engineers
- 3+ years working as a professional developer
- A strong background in data structures and large-scale data manipulation
- Expertise in Python and programming fundamentals
- Familiarity with information retrieval theory and practical applications
- Working knowledge of distributed systems and data processing fundamentals
- Experience with cloud reference architectures for common patterns in data pipelines
- Expertise in RDBMS and intermediate/advanced SQL
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- A background in Life Science
- Experience with Kubernetes in production
- Experience with data processing engines such as Spark or Beam
- Experience with statistical analysis of large datasets
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.