Staff Engineer - Frontend
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Web Applications /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join our growing Web Applications Team. In this role, you will work closely with key technical partners across the organization to ensure that BenchSci’s SaaS front-end code will be able to support long-term growth. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you will provide technical leadership across several areas within the team, lead complex projects, participate in roadmap and project planning, and actively contribute to BenchSci's product offerings and web architecture projects. The Staff Engineer will help foster the growth and development of other individual contributors, while also playing a key role in helping us scale as we continue to make a long-term impact on scientific discovery.
- Be the resident expert in React and web application development for 5 engineering teams
- Define and execute a roadmap to make our SaaS solutions scalable, nimble, and meet Product requirements in the long-term
- Collaborate with multiple teams working on important customer features and our own significant internal development projects
- Help set technical and architectural direction for our React and front-end teams with a focus on expanding the scope of our products and our ability to make life-scientists more effective
- Work with Product and Design to build a reusable Design System (using tools such as Storybook) that are at the core of our SaaS solution
- Be involved in all aspects of software development, working to create and maintain the most reliable, secure, performant, and high-throughput service for our customers by using cutting-edge cloud technology (this can range from setting high-level technical direction down to implementation)
- Be an inspiring mentor and coach to other engineers
- Act as an advocate for the company and its engineering team through various channels
- A minimum of 8 years of professional development experience, with 2 years at a Staff level
- Expertise in using React to build SaaS web applications, including system architecture and design
- The ability to create and manage a Design System to ensure design consistency and make development more efficient
- The ability to establish best practices for unit, integration, end-to-end, and visual testing guidelines in React and front-end development
- Expertise in building monitoring of SaaS solutions through client facing tools such as Sentry
- The ability to guide the reliability and growth of our SaaS application by overseeing the performance, monitoring, and security direction of the SaaS solution
- Experience driving excellence for React and web development best practices, standards, guidelines, documentation, training, and code quality
- The ability to guide our engineering team towards the decisions they make while minimizing friction
- The ability to translate business concerns into technical implementations
- The ability to communicate trade-offs in approaches to security, speed to ship, and performance
- The ability to provide constructive feedback to other individual contributors while showing a sense of empathy, tact, thoughtfulness, and respect
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Knowledge of Django Python and/or SQL solutions, best practices, and architecture
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.