Toronto, Ontario /
R&D – R&D /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Bioinformatics Engineer to join our R&D Team. You will report to the Chief Science Officer.
- Expand our biomedical libraries and overall bioinformatics functionalities.
- Generate outstanding bioinformatics networks by curating and integrating multiple ontology databases from different sources.
- Use bioinformatics to analyze and make sense of data in published literature.
- Research and development of future bioinformatics features to be deployed on the BenchSci Platform.
- Help with improvement of bioinformatics related UI/UX and search capabilities of the BenchSci Platform.
- Keep up with current trends in bioinformatics research to guide technology development.
- MSc in computational biology, bioinformatics for systems biology, OR 1-2 years experience working in the industry
- 3+ years experience in Python
- Sufficient knowledge in SQL
- Solid experience using PANDAS
- Experience in database design, implementation and management
- Some knowledge in distributed computing techniques (VMs, cloud computing)
- Strong background in molecular/cell biology and genetics
- Sufficient knowledge and experience in molecular biology techniques such as: Immunological methods (in vitro, cell-based and analytical), Genetics (cloning, CRISPR, high-throughput screens), Functional assays (kinase assays, cytotoxicity, neutralization/activation) or Analytical Biology (pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics analysis, LC/MS, SPR).
- Previous experience in using major biological resources such as RefSeq, Ensembl and UniProt
- Familiarity in using major resources for network biology such as String, PathwayCommons, GeneMania, Blast, ClustalOmega and Reactome
- Previous experience working with protein interactions and gene regulatory networks data
- Ability to work in a fast paced and collaborative environment, to handle multiple concurrent priority tasks with tight deadlines
- Good organizational and analytical skills
- Extreme focus on details
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.