Scientific Operations Manager
Toronto, Ontario /
Science – Science /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Scientific Operations Manager to join our Science Team. You will report to the VP of Science.
- Build OKR planning processes including quarterly retros, OKR planning and timelines, risk management and reporting
- Coordinate delivery of high-quality projects, business as usual (BAU)s and science OKRs
- Prepare project briefs with team leads and ensure amendments for changes of scope or timeline are accurately updated and communicated.
- Oversee and evolve the operations of essential Science Team functions to ensure key projects and processes are accomplished on a quarterly basis.
- Manage and evolve all the necessary Science Team planning and reporting infrastructure, i.e. project plans, resource tracking/allocation, status reports, dashboards etc.
- Develop science KPI dashboard to understand current states and improvements
- Consolidate and improve detailed documentation for Science team processes and infrastructure.
- Create and maintain the key operational reports based on metrics needed to track progress at the Science Team level.
- Coordinate with team members and draft company platform data updates and weekly data updates for review by Data Operations Manager and VP of Science
- Coordinate with Data Operations Manager on timing of regular data runs and data deployments to ensure monthly data runs and new data is added to the platform on a bi-weekly basis
- Monitor and ensure operational efficiency of publication pipeline, and vendor data pipeline
- Help hire scientific analysts for the team and BDA team
- Manage onboarding processes and rotational program for scientific analysts
- Coordinate with operations team regarding external data deliverables including quarterly data package deliveries to external clients, and other client-facing data deliverables as they arise.
- MSc or PhD in life sciences or related fields
- Formal project management training or 4+ years of sufficient work experience, ideally at a fast-growing SaaS startup.
- 2 or more years of managing direct reports
- Knowledge or bench experience in experimental biology research techniques, including: immunological methods (in vitro, cell-based and analytical), genetics (cloning, CRISPR, NGS), functional assays (kinase assays, cytotoxicity, neutralization/activation), Analytical Biology (pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, LC/MS, SPR)
- Proven experience working in a dynamic collaborative team with competing priorities.
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan (everyone gets the "executive treatment")
- Effectiveness coaching for managers including onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health support including mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week (we're closed Dec 25-Jan 1)
- Additional days off such as BenchSci summer day, your birthday, and more.
- Work from anywhere flexibility. Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym to keep fit with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package including health, dental and vision care.
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.